Requisition Number: PTLIF01939
The YMCA of South Florida is now hiring qualified lifeguards for our Hollywood YMCA Family Center. Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director the Lifeguard is responsible for maintaining the highest level of safety and swimming conditions for all patrons in the pool, on the deck and surrounding areas; first, by preventing accidents and second, by responding to an emergency quickly and efficiently. The Lifeguard is responsible for building positive relationships with members in addition to member satisfaction and retention.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to beginning of work shift.
- Ensure that necessary lifeguard equipment is on deck during work time, and put away when not on duty.
- Ensure the safety of all members in the pool area by supervising all YMCA recreational swimming and/or swim lessons in accordance with YMCA policies and guidelines.
- Perform regular water testing and maintain proper chemistry as scheduled. Report any concerns to the facility manager.
- Treat minor accidents as necessary and take appropriate actions for all incidents / accidents and follow up with all proper YMCA incident/accident forms.
- Develop and maintain professional and courteous relations with parents, program participants, and pool site management staff.
- Attend meetings and/or professional training as required or requested by Aquatics Director.
- Bring to the Aquatic Director’s attention any condition or practice which may be considered a threat to the health and safety of members and guests.
- Use preventive life guarding techniques to minimize or eliminate hazardous situations.
- Apply rules and policies of the YMCA Lifeguard Manual.
- Assist in creating schedules and emergency substituting.
- Conveys information on programs and schedules to members.
- Other duties as assigned based on family center requirements or needs.
Education and Experience:
- Pursuing High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Certificates and Licenses:
- YMCA Lifeguard Certified or Red Cross Lifeguard Certified.
- First Aid/CPR/AED, CPRO and oxygen administration certified.
Other skills and abilities:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish, a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with individuals at all levels.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with youth and adults including program participants, parents, volunteers, staff, and representatives of contract pool sites.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Must wear branch-provided YMCA lifeguard shirt & suit..
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Avid swimmer, passionate about the sport of swimming, dedicated to the cause of water safety and drowning prevention.
- High-energy personality, outgoing and enjoys working in a fast paced environment.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Innate desire to provide excellent customer service to participants, which will result in an exceptional aquatic experience.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit to and satisfactorily clear a thorough Level II fingerprinting background screening.
The YMCA of South Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age or disability.