Tool Room Manager is responsible for leading the shop floor team (i.e. Toolmakers, CNC Operators) who are responsible for building, revising, inspecting or improving different types of molds, fixtures, tools and assemblies.
Essential Functions of Job:
Supervisory Capacity: Direct Reports: 1-5
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice tool room vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
- Identify business improvement opportunities within the organization.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Tool Room activities
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing tool room team that meets agreed objectives and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels, managing holiday allowances, recruitment, training, development, appraisal, attendance, disciplinary issues and daily supervision to maximize efficient productivity.
- Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports.
- Provide technical expertise to the team.
- Ensure the delivery of the People Strategy (e.g. quantity of Tool Makers, CNC operators and qualifications) within area of accountability.
- Supervise/Manage the activities of the tool room facilities and shop floor team, ensuring the tool room is a safe environment in line with health, safety and environmental requirements.
- Lead the shop floor manufacturing per approved tool designs, ensuring a high level of workmanship and in an efficient, cost effective manner.
- Oversee all work through the tool room and ensure that all target dates for tooling are met.
- Coordinate external support required due to lack of internal resources (e.g. equipment, labor, expertise, etc.) as required to complete builds, while maintaining budget and timing.
- Provide technical advice and support on all aspects of tool design, manufacturing and estimating.
- Support design engineering with tooling/technical reviews and problem resolution.
- Identify investment opportunities for new equipment and drive these investments.
- Order BOM and ensure all stock items and spares are organized and inventory levels are minimized.
- Review engineering designs using CAD software.
- Produce written reports and make presentations.
- Undertake continuous training and development.
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve problems.
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the tool room products, materials and advise others of any impact.
- Input and hold responsibility for Tool Room budgets.
- Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects.
- Responsible for achieving budget and forecast.
- High School Graduate or Equivalent
- Successfully completed a federal journeyman program in Machining or Mold making
- Extensive plant level experience with significant proven supervisory experience
- Experience managing Profit and Loss (P&L) responsibilities for manufacturing
- Understanding of manufacturing and procurement/supply chain
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a variety of cross-functional team members
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making