Learning and Organizational Development Manager
Who is Great Lakes Cheese?
Great Lakes Cheese is celebrating over 50 years of Excellence in Cheese Making! Since 1958, Great Lakes has grown rapidly by acquisition, plant expansions, investment in the best technologies for production and distribution – and by setting high industry standards for service. Currently, Great Lakes serves the nation’s retailers and food service operations with nine strategic facilities across the U.S. We earn this proud tradition of award-winning quality and customer satisfaction every day.
To be a leading manufacturer and supplier of consistently high quality cheese products. We will achieve this through our commitment to outstanding customer service, innovation, dedicated employees, and business partnerships. Our environment of open communication, integrity, and mutual respect encourages everyone to go beyond what is expected. We believe that profitability is a success only if the customer, the suppliers, the employees, the communities, and the company benefit.
Benefits of working at GLC:
Great Lakes Cheese’s success hinges on the dedication and professionalism of our people. From our inception, we have created and maintained an environment for employees to learn, develop their careers and enjoy mutually rewarding relationships, recognition and earnings. As we have grown throughout the years, we have kept the small company, family feel, even as a billion dollar organization. Point in case, our employees participate in an ESOP Plan, where they own approximately 20% of the company. In addition, we offer competitive benefits that include Medical, Dental, Life and Long-term Disability Insurance, 401(k) Plan, an Employee Assistance Program and tuition reimbursement.
- Responsible for human capital effectiveness and development of new and current team members through training strategies and priorities.
- Engage with business leaders to address skills gaps, organizational transitions, and align training processes to business goals.
- Establish metrics and influence standardization and consistency across the organization.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of training, coaching and performance management methodologies
- Design of in-house, and with expert third parties, solutions which included a blended approach to learning such as coaching, classroom training, action learning, and e-learning.
- Support new site and site expansion activities through driving training and development plans and strategy including hourly workforce.
- Design of in house, and with expert third parties, standard operating procedures and training matrices for all sites.
- Build and implement Learning Management System.
- Build GLC University.
- Travel to conduct field training for new and existing associates and ensure that consistent training methods are implemented across the company.
- Work closely with our HR team to develop training of business leaders at the VP, director, manager and supervisor level on how to coach and develop their teams, provide regular feedback and set development goals in a practical, meaningful manner.
- Collaborate with leadership and HR team members to identify and/or develop training mapping to overall job family facilitating career progression.
- Work closely with HR to develop a strategy for onboarding employees that gives new hires the tools they need to succeed in this fast-paced, high-standards workplace.
- Manage external coaches and/or learning vendors.
- Ensure programs run with operational excellence.
- Management of the training budget.
- As the role grows, build, manage, and oversee the development of the training team.
- Model behaviors that reflect continued personal and professional growth.
- All GLC employees are expected to perform any assignment or job task according to the stated safety policies and procedures.
- All GLC employees are expected to produce our products in a manner that exceeds the quality and value expectation of our customers and consumers by adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices, Policies and Procedures outlined in our Safe Quality Food Program.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Human Resources or related field or the equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of training and development experience including design and development.
- Experience in building/expanding talent management capabilities.
- 20-40% travel required.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills
- MBA or Master’s in organization development, training, communications or related field.
- Working knowledge of supply chain and operations (transportation, warehousing, manufacturing etc.).
- Training development, instructional design and facilitation experience.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory and practice.
- Lean – LSS training and/or project management experience.
- SueccessFactors training and implementation experience.
- Excellent communication will all levels in the organization.
- Strong analytical acumen, strategic mindset and an ability to move forward with ambiguous information.
- Ability to work both collaboratively as a team across various functions and work independently in an ambiguous, constantly-changing environment with a relentlessly positive attitude.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Occasional exposure to industrial operations including: temperature extremes from approximately 35ºF to 100ºF; noise levels in excess of 85 dB; moisture and moving machinery.
Great Lakes Cheese is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.