Whey Plant Operator
At Hilmar Cheese Company we improve lives around the world through wholesome dairy products. Since our founding in 1984, Hilmar Cheese Company has been committed to innovation and sustainability. Our state-of-the art production facilities convert an abundance of locally sourced high-quality milk into a variety of nutritious cheeses, whey protein and lactose. The Cheese and Ingredients that we produce create a wide variety of retail and food service products from sliced and shredded cheeses, to protein supplements and infant formula. We are a trusted partner to premier food and beverage brands in for than fifty countries helping bring their vision into reality.
Throughout our decades of success and growth we have remained committed to our mission and values and these principles unite our people and guide all that we do.
A Typical Day
The Whey Plant Operator is primarily responsible for operation of the liquid process and associated equipment.
- Operation of the Separators to insure good fat separation and the proper fat percentage in the Whey Cream.
- Operation of the whey H.T.S.T.s in accordance with State and Federal Guidelines. Operation inclusive of: maintaining correct flow, temperature and chart changing.
- Pasteurizers License must be obtained within 12 months.
- Operation of the filtration equipment (UFs, DFs, and MF). Operation inclusive of: Constant monitoring and adjusting of protein, solids, and flow rates by conducting hourly checks and sampling according to check sheet.
- Ability to learn and operate computer related controls.
- Maintain and monitor all QC and production programs per HCC standards.
- Ongoing Improvement of knowledge and understanding of all liquid process equipment and protein in general.
- Monitoring of all additives to the whey and retentate streams to insure the proper functionality of the various products.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and work environment cleanliness.
- Responsible for proper product handling to insure minimum product loss.
- Responsible for understanding and conducting CIPs and other cleaning steps according to plant procedures.
- Responsible for following GMP guidelines and all company policies as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Active participation and ownership in your training and development program and associated activities, classes and events, which will be held before, during, after shifts and during scheduled days off.
- Help coach and train teammates and participate in on the job, buddy training.
- Place high priority on food safety and sanitation by understanding and executing HCCs food safety and sanitation policies and procedures. This includes communicating any food safety incident, observation, or opportunity to your leadership team or teammates as well as participating in food safety and sanitation root cause analysis and improvement activities when required.
- Prioritize safety above all other job duties by having a safety first approach at all times. This includes reporting any safety issues, observations, opportunities to your teams and follow up.
What You Will Need
- English skills must be proficient to understand, read, write and speak English
- Must be able to work 12-hour variable shifts, including weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 60lbs
- Basic computer skills
What Will Put You Ahead
- High School diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- SAP experience
- Dairy manufacturing experience
- Active/past member of departmental safety team
- Understanding of membrane filtration system operations
- Skilled in dryers and packaging (level 3)
- State Pasteurizer License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to:
- Stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear.
- Stand and walk almost the entire workday.
- Employees must be physically capable of working in any of the job tasks within their respective area.
- Required to work at heights and in fairly small areas.
- Pushing, pulling, reaching, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, handling and grasping, twisting/turning, repetitive bending.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Exposure to dust, fumes, smoke, gases, or other irritating substances.
- Exposure to solvents or chemicals.
- Exposure to slippery walking surfaces: water.
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity depending on time of year.
Working surface is primarily concrete. Where standing is required, there are rubber mats which are one-half inch thick.
Food safety is a companywide responsibility and each employee must know their role in the manufacture and distribution of safe, wholesome, and high quality products.
This description is a general statement and does not include other duties as assigned
Hilmar Cheese Company, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer/EEO. We participate in E-Verify.
English Information|Spanish Information