The safety and well-being of team members and patrons is one of the highest priorities at San Manuel. Reporting to the Director of Safety and Loss, the Safety and Loss Manager is an involved and informative leader with high confidence. Qualified candidates will possess a work history that demonstrates a passion for people and enthusiasm for safety. The incumbent will use their ability to develop, plan and implement Safety and Loss programs for multi-site hospitality, administrative and restaurant operations to manage the enterprise's Safety and Loss programs and ensure compliance with tribal, federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to safety. Through effective training, coaching and mentoring of department engineers and team members, the Safety and Loss Manager will promote and support a strong safety culture across the enterprise.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the development, implementation and administration of policies, comprehensive programs, and systems relating to all facets of safety and loss and regulatory compliance functions within the Safety and Loss Department. This includes ensuring departmental safety committees are operating according to guidelines.
- Monitors incident investigations and follows up to verify effectiveness of resolution, remedy and/or repair; ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where health and safety hazards exist. Coordinates with enterprise risk management and claims units to provide required data regarding subrogation matters.
- Formulates, implements, administers and develops metrics for monitoring and interpreting performance of general safety and loss policies and application across the breadth of the operations of the company.
- Manages the regulatory compliance efforts of the business units to include reporting on local, municipal, state and federal matters regarding occupational safety and hazardous materials.
- Oversees the development, coordination and implementation of team member safety training programs designed to support operational efficiency.
- Develops and/or updates safety policies and procedures; organizes and directs the Food Safety, team member/Patron Safety, and Construction Safety and Loss teams within the Safety and Loss department and their supporting activities.
- Ensures ongoing safety and loss inspections of all Tribal construction projects and work sites are conducted. Ensures all contracted personnel are in full compliance with all Tribal safety/accident prevention policies, procedures and practices.
- Manages the OSHA and state equivalent programs, including issues of investigation. Manages the San Manuel Gaming Commission Issues of Concern related to the enterprise's safety and loss functions.
- Ensures enterprise leadership, department management and other Tribal Government department heads are well informed of all findings, recommendations, action plans, training and ongoing monitoring of all safety and loss related matters directed at eliminating injuries and/or health related conditions.
- Manages annual budget for all safety and loss functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the enterprise's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training team members; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Associates degree in Occupational Safety or related field required. Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of direct experience with demonstrated increasing responsibilities in Safety and Loss. Minimum of three (3) years management experience within a multi-site operation are required.
- Working knowledge of current health and safety standards, including OSHA general industry standards required.
- A thorough understanding of post-accident investigation methods, including identification of subrogation opportunities a must.
- Detailed knowledge of ergonomic standards and practice.
- Experience in training program development, implementation, and delivery required.
- Demonstrates the characteristics of leadership including character/integrity, sincerity, trustworthy, compassion, humility, optimism/enthusiasm, courage, vision, communication, planning and flexibility to inspire others and bring people together.
- Must possess proficient computer skills and demonstrate sound knowledge and skills of Microsoft Office Suite and designated computer-based safety and loss information system platforms
- Ability to lead process improvement initiatives in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations required.
- Must be able to meet absolute deadlines.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- OSHA, ASP, CSP, ARM Professional designation preferred.
- A qualified candidate/team member must have a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company's insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!