Senior Linux/Unix Engineer
SENIOR LINUX/UNIX ENGINEER
Direct Hire - Base + 15% Bonus
We are looking for a Senior Unix/Linux Engineer in Hickory NC. The Server and Storage Engineering (SSE) team is responsible for defining, designing, implementing and testing computing solutions including servers, storage, disaster recovery, backup/restore, support escalations, mentoring teams, and monitoring in support of overall business requirements. SSE's are responsible for working with infrastructure senior leadership to help define highly available computing (server, storage, backup and restore) strategies integrating into an overall infrastructure strategy. The focus is to provide exceptional computing capability, ensuring world class computing solutions while providing the highest levels of quality in server and storage engineering.
What You'll Do:
- Perform end-to-end compute design of Linux/Unix environment, capacity planning and performance management, identifying opportunities for quality improvements, automation, and cost savings.
- Oversee delivery of all Linux compute projects. Track, report, and resolve issues in a timely manner to ensure delivery of services and projects.
- Develop and implement the Linux virtual server, virtual storage, virtual networking and virtual backup infrastructure strategy.
- Support the architecture, preliminary design, analysis, implementation, and operations of the server, storage, and backup infrastructure.
- Drive data center migration and implementation initiatives.
- Manage the technology direction and tools of the team, ensuring that appropriate standards are set, minimizing solution gaps, global standard/process are maintained, followed and reported on regularly
- Develop the servers, storage, and backup technical teams, mentor talent to deliver the technology and to manage and execute according to the capabilities of the organization.
- Forecasts demand for data center, network, database and storage capacity based on operating trends, organic growth and project needs; proactively propose service improvement plans as necessary.
- Participate with leadership and other teams work with key vendors. Meet regularly with vendors to understand product roadmaps, help define future capabilities, and participate in the selection of the right technology for the organization.
- Work with other members of the infrastructure team including data center operations, networking, service desk and process development to help develop robust monitoring and operational processes.
- Implement ITIL Service Management Essentials or Foundation best practices.
- Support internal infrastructures and provide escalated support for IT Data Center Operations.
- Create logical diagrams and documentation for quality assurance and transition to operations.
- Participate in team on-call rotation.
Skills/Experience You'll Need:
- A completed Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology required; Computer Science or related curriculum
- 10 + years of experience supporting Data Centers in a large multisite enterprise network
- 5+ years of experience supporting Red Hat /RHEL 5, 6, or 7+ operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience in design, deployment, administration, configuration, and integration of data center technologies.
- Understanding of Hyper Converged Infrastructure.
- Ability to travel up to 25%
Skills/Experience That are Nice to Have:
- VMWare or Linux Certified Advanced Professional
- Experience supporting Data Centers in a large multisite global enterprise network
- Experience Running infrastructure that supports SAP environment
- Experience with Cloud services and data center highly available solutions.
- Exposure to AWS, Azure public cloud experience in a production environment
- Planning, deploying and configuring systems in a cloud based infrastructure (AWS/Azure)
- Zerto, VEEAM, or similar technologies