Job Summary: Provides personal care and related services in the home. Functions under direct instruction and supervision of an RN or therapist coordinating patient care.
Essential Values-Based Competencies: Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System:
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship.
- Follows written instructions for patients care as prepared by an RN, PT, OT or SLP Therapist
- Provide and assists patients with personal care (which may include lifting, positioning, turning and transferring patients without assistance) to preserve good personal hygiene while maintaining a healthful, safe environment.
- Performs simple procedures as an extension of therapy services, such as ambulation, ROM, and exercise only as prescribed by the PT or OT
- Reports changes in patient's condition and needs to Clinical Supervisor, RN, PT or OT.
- Completes and maintains electronic record of services performed and of observed status of patient.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate rapport with the patient and family.
- Participates in patient care conferences to provide input regarding observed patient health and environmental conditions.
- Perform household services as identified in the plan of care.
- Practices infection control and universal precautions for self and others in patient care activities
- Maintains annual CHHA Certification and compliance education.
- Meets productivity standards of the organization.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Adheres to California Department of Health Services certification regulations.
- Possesses adequate knowledge of Medicare/Medical and insurance standards to maintain regulations.
- Conforms to all applicable Network policies and procedures.
- Participates actively in continuing education and in-services.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information and business trade practices.
- Assumes accountability for reporting incidents and complaints according to Network policy.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to prioritize and critically think (Scheduling and prepare for visits)
- Organizational skills, time management (Scheduling and prepare for visits)
- Ability to handle the demands of the job
- Flexibility to adapt to new and changing situations
- Demonstrates Values based customer service skills.
- Follow and maintain HIPAA standards.
- Reports and cooperates in risk management activities and investigations.
- Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with Home Health Network Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
- Participates in weekend, on-call and holiday rotation as needed.
- Reliable transportation.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Complete necessary education to attain CHHA Certification in state of California.
License/Certification: Current Home Health Aide Certification, current CPR, valid CA Driver's License and proof of auto insurance.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: 6 months of prior Home health aide experience.
- Knowledge of proper procedures for handling exposure to communicable diseases and blood borne pathogens.
- Knowledge of the proper technique to handle exposure to hazardous material.
Physical Requirements: Defined on the attached Physical Demand Analysis.
Since 1988, St. Joseph Health, Home Care Services has been a trusted leader in home health, hospice and infusion pharmacy, helping clients throughout Orange County, Los Angeles County and the Inland Empire receive the quality care they need in the comfort of their home. A member of the St. Joseph Hoag Health alliance, St. Joseph Health, Home Care Services is guided by our core values of excellence, service, dignity and justice in everything we do. With over 700 caring employees, we are dedicated to restoring the health and well-being of clients and families at all stages of life's journey.
St. Joseph Health, Home Care Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Health, Home Care Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.