Systems Dev Engineer, AWS Security Event Management and IR
Passionate about building, owning and operating massively scalable systems? Experienced in building and leading teams of highly competent systems development engineers? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you.
The Team: We're an agile, independent team working to meet the demanding needs for our AWS Security engineers. We need developers who are capable of breaking down and solving complex big-data problems. Our team is tasked with protecting the AWS infrastructure that is used by our national security customers. You'll work side-by-side with our security engineers to build, extend, deploy, and maintain the security information and event management (SIEM) platform they use every day. We are a team of Systems Developers building internal security systems with AWS Services to find threats to our AWS Customers.
Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end-to-end, and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. Join a team of customer obsessed developers that think big and have fun.
The ideal candidate should be able to:
· Design, build, and implement data ingestion, enrichment, and correlation components with AWS Services that can achieve Amazon scale.
· Quickly adopt and learn new software platforms and CI/CD tool chains. We don't expect you'll have experience working with our specific AWS tool chains, so we'll provide you training to get you up to speed.
· Operate within the team of peer Systems Development engineers with little direct oversight to solve complex engineer scaling issues..
· Provide guidance on system architecture and recommend solutions in alignment with systems engineering best practices.
· Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical system failures in high pressure situations to reduce Mean Time to Failure (MTTR)
· Leverage DevOps techniques to Engineer Operational Improvements in systems and tools that reduce operational efforts to Keep the Lights On. We are huge advocates for using public AWS services to build our platform, including CloudFormation, CodeDeploy, and Lambda.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
· Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science, or equivalent work experience.
· 5+ years of Linux systems engineering experience, mechanizing OA&M with Bash
· Experience building automation tooling for deploying and maintaining production systems within an AWS environment, including practiced experience of AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS Lambda, AWS SDK/Boto3, and the AWS CLI.
· 5+ years of experience building DevOps automation tooling for AWS Services in Python and/or Go
· Deep understanding networking (TCP, UDP, DNS, etc) and network troubleshooting of systems
· 4+ years of experience with CI/CD practices, processes, and strategies
· 4+ years of working within a DevOps team with Code and Configuration management tools following industry standard software development life cycle techniques
· This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
· Experience as a system administrator for a Splunk cluster, or similar SIEM platforms. Bonus points if you are a Splunk Enterprise Certified Admin.
· Deep understanding of architecting systems within AWS. Bonus points if you've got one of the AWS certifications, like Solutions Architect - Associate or SysOps Administrator - Associate or Developer - Associate.
· Basic understanding of security concepts, including encryption and application security best practices.
· An interest in learning more about security operations and incident response.
· A sense of humor! We work hard to raise the security bar for our customers, but we also know how to laugh.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role