Software Development Engineer
Amazon is seeking an experienced, results-oriented, Software Development Manager in our Seattle office.
What do we do here? Amazon Web Services (AWS) runs one of the largest networks in the world. We are building Complex Network Capacity modelling and, putting automation in place to control the system design and flow that determines how we scale the Network in the Amazon data-center network, taking in real-time network inputs and state into account.
Why do we do that? In Amazon, we are always customer obsessed. By responding fast to network changes like scaling, maintenance, failure, security and other types of events, we lower the cost and overhead for customers, while driving up performance, availability and reliability.
Why now? As we expand the reach of our algorithms and services, we need to scale. We are looking for a talented software development manager that wants to work on hyper scale data center networks, cloud infrastructure, large-scale software deployments, algorithms and SOA.
How do we operate? We empower people to take ownership of their realm and make a difference. We work backwards from customer needs, gather requirements, diving deep to choose technologies, designing features and spinning new services, deploying software across the globe and maintaining services. In AWS, we are nimble and agile, like being part of a startup, innovating while collaborating with smart group of people around you. We are thrilled about software and we are changing the landscape of networking. We operate on an unimaginable scale. We push the boundaries in robustness, fault-tolerance and smart adaptive algorithms that can react intelligently to real-world events.
What will you be doing here?
· Work backwards from customer needs, build and track business metrics by which the team works to improve customer impact
· Plan, develop, deploy and maintain network software for highly scaled networks
· Recruit, coach and mentor senior and junior software engineers
· Work with management, customers and adjacent development teams to build state of the art solutions, incorporate new technologies, and algorithms
· Set quality standards, build mechanisms and processes for team efficiency, continuously inventing and simplifying
Who are we? We are a highly motivated team of software developers who thrive on solving challenging problems and building large-scale distributed software systems.
Who are we looking for? Smart, talented and seasoned manager. You do not need to have networking background up front. Join us if you like working hard, having fun and making history. We do just that.
Have more questions? Talk to us! We'll be happy to setup an info call to give you more context and details about the job.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Vet
Visit www.amazon.jobs for more information.
· A background in computer science fundamentals: a bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent).
· 10+ years of experience in building production software applications.
· A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design and systems architecture.
· A solid understanding of performance and efficiency issues.
· Experience in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
· Experience with distributed algorithms, SOA, enterprise-wide systems and asynchronous messaging, networking protocols, topology design, network hardware and device configuration.
· Experience in mentoring software engineers to improve their skills and efficiency.
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
· Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
· A strong customer orientation.
· Deep hands-on technical expertise; prior experience as a software developer or software development manager
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.