Senior Engineering Manager, Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for experienced engineering leaders to help us define and build the future of cloud computing. This is a leadership (manager of managers) position in the networking area. You will run several teams, all contributing towards the implementation of our virtual networking system (called Virtual Private Cloud, VPC).
Responsibilities includes driving operational excellence, growing engineers and software development managers, hiring, and roadmap'ing creation and delivery of features and performance. The software environment is the cutting edge between software and hardware. While responsible for software delivery, you will also partner with hardware teams to achieve industry-leading performance, utilization models, and IP networking virtualization.
You've written and released lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and grow.
What You'll Do
- Effectively mentor and manage a team of software developers including their projects and performance
- Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
- Work with other managers and team members to estimate effort and document scope
- Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
- Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
- Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
Help us revolutionize the Cloud! AWS is the fastest growing division within Amazon. Our goal is bring the AWS networking capability to be on par with on premise networking capabilities (advanced firewall rules, scalability, advanced routing protocols) and increased performance over time. Ready to make a durable mark on the computer industry? Come join us for this unique opportunity that blends leadership, technology, and accelerating customer growth!
- 10+ years of software / hardware development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a manager of managers while leading multiple engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience of managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
- Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in developing long-term strategies and influencing leadership decisions
- Successful experience in establishing and evolving engineering development processes across multiple teams
- Experience building scalable infrastructure software for commercial online services.
- Experience with networking, virtualization technologies and on-demand computing.
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.