Commissioning Program Manager
Amazon is looking for a Data Center Commissioning Quality Control Program Manager (QCPM) to develop and execute a new, owner-led construction quality control program for the entire data center life-cycle (construction, final inspection/testing/commissioning, customer turnover, warranty). The QCPM will create the foundation for the construction control program and lead developing a team of construction quality control professionals.
The QCPM will work on some of the most technical, cost-efficient, and fast-paced data center construction projects in the world. The successful candidate will be obsessed with customers and quality improvement, detailed and data-driven, and will be hands-on and committed to creating, launching, and improving a world-class construction quality control program.
At Amazon, we are a global team responsible for the design, construction, and operation of industry-leading data center facilities. You will work with a team of motivated, intelligent, and driven professionals dedicated to providing data centers for our customers.
The Data Center Commissioning Quality Control Program Manager will be responsible for:
· Develop, execute, and constantly improve an owner-led construction quality control program from the ground up. The construction quality control program will encompass the entire data center life-cycle and conform to contract documents, code, design standards, and industry practices.
· Coordinate with on-site construction managers to audit the general contractor’s quality control program including quality control inspection schedules and collection of quality records. Evaluate the qualifications of general contractor quality control program and personnel.
· Work alongside design engineering, procurement, construction management, commissioning, and operations stakeholders throughout the project life-cycle.
· Review and approve general contractor’s QC Plans to ensure alignment with owner’s requirements.
· Ensure all subcontractors are following their approved QA/QC Plans
· Interpretation of construction documents, controls sequences and technical manuals.
· Provide technical support during the construction phase to ensure quality opportunities are realized and all aspects of the quality control plan are met.
· Audit and evaluate construction submittal review and approval processes.
· Conduct reviews of RFP, project drawings, and specifications to support constructability and reduce project cost by minimizing unnecessary changes or rework.
· Inspect work in progress to verify it complies with the quality control plan. Perform quality audits and follow-up surveillance using checklists developed from project requirements. Set up the audit schedule, prepare audit reports, and distribute to the appropriate parties.
· Track and analyze construction quality control failures and recurring issues. Identify solutions through root cause analysis and execute and audit feedback/solution mechanisms to ensure construction quality issues are fixed permanently – share that data globally across teams.
· Review construction quality corrective action plans (CAP) for appropriateness in response to audit findings, and recommend changes to improve construction quality.
· Develop metrics to analyze and view construction quality control improvement. Communicate quality control status updates and metrics to stakeholders. Provide technical and statistical expertise to stakeholders.
· Research proposed construction components and methods to ensure quality and customer needs. Research, document, and champion best practices of data center quality control.
· After construction is complete, coordinate with the operations stakeholders to investigate warranty issues for future construction. Participate in failure and damage analyses, assess options, and propose solutions.
· Develop and implement quality control training programs for owner stakeholders.
· Travel to data center sites for quality control checks, electrical/mechanical systems audits, startup testing, commissioning, and warranty resolution.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Management, or an equivalent engineering/architectural science OR 7+ years of related construction-related quality control experience in lieu of a degree.
· 7+ years of experience executing construction quality control specific to mission critical facilities/large-scale mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) construction and familiar with medium and low voltage equipment, switchgear, generators, UPS, and large mechanical cooling systems.
· 5+ years of experience developing new construction quality control plans from scratch that scale from a local to regional to global level.
· Experience performing construction quality control with the five level of mission critical / data center commissioning.
· Experience performing quality control reviews of technical submittal documents to include but not limited to: technical approaches, work plans, quality control plans, commissioning plans, inspection reports, and project summary reports.
· Experience directly related to construction of data centers, critical medical industrial construction, oil and gas, or large-scale mechanical and power systems.
· Strong knowledge of electrical systems, commissioning process, ISO 9001, ASHRAE, IEEE and NETA standards.
· Understand commissioning levels for mission critical data centers.
· Familiar with CSI specifications for MEP systems and Division 1 general requirements.
· Experience with processes of design review, design specification development, and submittal review.
· Experience in performing specialized construction materials or installation inspections.
· Experience building engineering or construction programs and teams from the ground up.
· Experience in construction quality root cause analysis.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.