SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Laboratory Analyst I/ Environmental Microscopist is responsible for the preparation and analysis of air and bulk samples for the identification of asbestos by Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM) and Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM). This is a full-time, benefited position at 40 hours per week with the possibility of overtime. The ideal candidate must be available to work Monday through Friday, 8am – 5pm and after hours, including some weekends.
Receive close supervision related to specific work activities, assignments, methods, etc; usually receive frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed, and assignments are typical short-term.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Coursework in geology or other physical science
- A science related bachelor's degree
- Desired Skills:
- Candidate should be detail oriented, organized and able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Great communication skills - both verbal and written are ideal
Experience with a microscope a plus!
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Basic personal computer skills including electronic mail, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- The ability to separate emotional feelings from the real issues at hand. The ability to legitimately and objectively challenge the substance of our beliefs and biases of our observations.
- The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
- The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
- Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives, and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
- Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
- Exhibits high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
- Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
- Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
- Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
- Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
- Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
- Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
- Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
- Ascending or descending stairs, ramps and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms
- Moving about on foot to accomplish task for sustained periods of time.
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position.
- Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner.
- No special vision requirements
- Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, and works with the fingers.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
- Work near moving mechanical parts.
- Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors)
- Toxic or caustic chemicals
- Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
- Regular work schedule.
- Minimal travel.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called back shortly. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.