Software Development Manager
Ring Neighbors is looking for a Software Development Manager to lead our rapidly growing Content Engineering team. Ring Neighbors (https://ring.com/neighbors), launched in 2018, is a hyperlocal social networking app providing real-time crime and safety alerts from neighbors and public safety agencies. With Neighbors, you can always know when and where things are happening in your area, and share updates to keep you and your community informed. The Neighbors app is available on iOS (4.8 stars), Android (4.6 stars), recently launched on Web, and is also included as an embedded experience within the Ring app. Neighbors is used by millions of people each month.
As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of software developers working on cutting-edge large-scale, cloud services that will be used by millions of Ring customers. You will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of core applications and services within the Neighbors team at Ring. This role will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers (mobile, front-end, backend), product managers, designers, and marketers to design, test, learn, and iterate on solutions in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate:
· Has a strong foundation in software development, design patterns, and cloud computing
· Has experience working with large-scale cloud systems, understanding how to architect and build them
· Is highly effective and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple, changing priorities
· Knows what is important when shipping products to customers and has been through the process from start to finish
· Manages a team of engineers and promotes robust and maintainable code, clear documentation, and delivers high quality work on tight schedules
A day in the life
Content Engineering is responsible for the management of all content on the Neighbors Platform. Team responsibilities include building a toolset for moderating User Generated Content, tools to ingest and publish news and safety information from third party partners, and tools for the Neighbors News Team to curate and publish News and Safety alerts.
About the hiring group
The team owns services that have been built primarily in Go, and Python, regularly utilize Lambdas as part of an event driven architecture, and are responsible for delivering a combination of backend services and web tools used by internal customers (Neighbors Administrators, and Neighbors News Team).
The moderation tooling includes a machine learning (ML) component ripe for future investment and the team leverages a rich set of AWS services that are used in the team’s solutions including: S3, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, Cloudwatch, Elastic Search, Lambda, Cloud Auth, Redshift, Athena, along with Amazon’s standard Builder Hub Tools. The team consists of a combination of backend, full-stack, and front end developers.
· Be responsible for the overall systems development life cycle including the design, development and maintenance of core services
· Work closely with engineers, product managers and designers to architect and develop new features and services, from conception to launch
· Manage the day-to-day activities of engineering teams within an Agile/Scrum environment
· Work with team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
· Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to technical and business stakeholders
· Help to improve engineering processes and tools to increase team effectiveness
· Work with extraordinary talent and have the opportunity to hire and shape the team to best execute on the product
· Mentor and coach software engineers in order to improve their skills, and make them more effective software engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
· Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
· Experience with OO design/development skills
· Experience with REST services architecture
· Experience developing in a modern programming languages (Java, Go, C/C++, Python)
· Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with a solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals
· 10+ years of experience doing hand-on software development
· Deep understanding of cloud software development in a team and a track record of shipping software on time
· Experience working with AWS services (S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, EC2, CloudWatch, Kinesis, SQS, etc…)
· Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
· Excellence in technical communication with peers and remote teams, both technical and non-technical
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the video doorbell, to Ring Alarm, which was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction for DIY Home Security Systems by J.D. Power, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.