Software Development Engineer
Ring Neighbors is looking to add a Software Development Engineer to our rapidly growing Content Engineering team. Ring Neighbors (https://ring.com/neighbors), launched in 2018, is a hyperlocal social networking app providing real-time crime and safety alerts from neighbors and public safety agencies. With Neighbors, you can always know when and where things are happening in your area, and share updates to keep you and your community informed. The Neighbors app is available on iOS (4.8 stars), Android (4.6 stars), recently launched on Web, and is also included as an embedded experience within the Ring app. Neighbors is used by millions of people each month.
A day in the life
Content Engineering is responsible for the management of all content on the Neighbors Platform. Team responsibilities include building a toolset for moderating User Generated Content, tools to ingest and publish news and safety information from third party partners, and tools for the Neighbors News Team to curate and publish News and Safety alerts.
About the hiring group
The team owns services that have been built primarily in Go, and Python, regularly utilize Lambdas as part of an event driven architecture, and are responsible for delivering a combination of backend services and web tools used by internal customers (Neighbors Administrators, and Neighbors News Team).
The moderation tooling include a machine learning (ML) component ripe for future investment and the team leverages a rich set of AWS services are used in the team’s solutions including: S3, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, Cloudwatch, Elastic Search, Lambda, Cloud Auth, Redshift, Athena, along with Amazon’s standard Builder Hub Tools. The team consists of a combination of backend, full-stack, and front end developers.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of core services at Ring.
This role involves design, architecture, implementation, and operation of the large-scale cloud systems that make our neighborhood safer. You will be given the opportunity to autonomously deliver the technical direction of these services, and the feature roadmap. You will work with extraordinary talent and have the opportunity to hire and shape the team to best execute on the product.
The ideal candidate:
· Has a strong foundation in software development, design patterns, and cloud computing.
· Has experience working with large-scale cloud systems, understanding how to architect and build them
· Is highly effective and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple, changing priorities
· Knows what is important when shipping products to customers and has been through the process from start to finish
· Promotes robust and maintainable code, clear documentation, and can deliver high quality work on tight schedules
· Is comfortable with proactive outward communication and technical leadership and never shies away from a challenge
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
· 3+ years of experience building production software systems
· 3+ years of experience with OO design/development
· 3+ years of experience in REST architecture for web services
· 3+ years of experience in a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, Go, Ruby, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, SQLite, OpenGL, Spring, Hibernate)
· Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field - Experience with working on AWS services (S3, CloudFormation, DynamoDB, EC2)
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the video doorbell, to Ring Alarm, which was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction for DIY Home Security Systems by J.D. Power, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.