Take advantage of this unique opportunity to learn the fundamentals of quality home care and deliver life-changing service to your clients. As an Arcadia Personal Care Assistant, you'll play a vital role in supporting seniors and people with disabilities living independently. This rewarding position provides consistent, flexible hours to accommodate your personal needs, while providing a great career with a growing, innovative industry leader.
If you have a genuine passion for helping others, and you are looking for a meaningful, fulfilling career with a dynamic, values-driven organization that recognizes and supports your contribution, we invite you to join our team.
- Follows all written instructions as determined by client/responsible parties within limits of the agency's policies for personal care aide as written on the service plan.
- Provides socialization, conversation and emotional reassurance to the client.
- Encourages and participates in reading, appropriate games, and other activities to promote well being and stimulate the mind and the spirit.
- Provides for safety by using the principles of health and safety in relation to self and client, as follows:
- Identifies and reports safety hazards
- Follows assigned safety precautions
- Practices health protection and cleanliness by appropriate techniques of hand washing, waste disposal and household tasks
- Supervises the safety of client while he/she is toileting, bathing and dressing
- Provides escort services, such as accompanying the client to scheduled appointments, shopping or errands.
- Takes care of pets and water the plants.
- Encourages and supervises the maintenance of a clean and healthy environment
- Provides housekeeping duties such as:
- Kitchen (washing dishes, wiping/disinfecting sinks and countertops)
- Bathroom (wiping/disinfecting sinks, countertops, tubs and toilets)
- Bedroom (bed making/changing linen)
- Laundry (light personal laundry: washing, drying, folding, ironing, putting away)
- Light vacuuming and dusting
- Change linen on unoccupied bed
- Assists the client to achieve or maintain adequate nutrition and hydration by:
- Grocery shopping, simple meal or snack preparation
- Assists with feeding client providing that the client can still independently swallow and be positioned upright
- Prepare special diet under the client / family direction
- Encourages/supervises appropriate personal hygiene
- Assists with activities of daily living -- grooming, bathing, dressing, and toileting
- Assists with shaving using an electric or safety razor only
- Provide with nail care (i.e. soaking and filing of nails; caregivers may not trim or clip nails)
- Assists with application of support stockings that can be purchased without a physician's prescription
- Assists with skin care when any chronic skin problems are not active. Caregivers may apply non-medicated lotions and solutions that do not require a physician's prescription.
- Assists with mobility
- Assists with elimination
- Assists client with blood sugar checks; prepare & clean up supplies, open containers, hand equipment to client, record readings & monitor inventory.
- Regularly required to sit, stand and walk on variable surfaces.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to reach beyond mid-line of body overhead/chest level.
- Occasionally use hand controls including grip using one or both hands.
- Occasionally climb ramps or stairs or use foot controls.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Employees are required to utilize universal safety precautions while performing their job tasks.
- Ability to lift, push, pull and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to stoop and bend up to 2.5 hours per 8 hour shift.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Satisfactory completion of Agency qualifying exam.
- Six (6) months recent experience or 2 years part-time experience within the last 3 years as a PCA/HCA/CNA or equivalent or 6 months full-time experience within the past 2 years or 1 year part-time experience within the past 3 years and completion of a format training course that meets the following:
- The course contents include the duties listed below
- Is minimally 40 hours in duration or per state regulation
- CPR / First Aid certification if state or program requirement.
- Possess an empathetic attitude toward the care and treatment of clients/patients.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Must have own vehicle or reliable source of transportation.
Addus (parent company of Arcadia) provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.