Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role in the Pacific Standard Time zone. If you are not in the PST zone you must be willing to work within our core hours. Remote team members will work out of their home office and should have successfully worked remotely in the past.
As a UI engineer on the Open Instrumentation Experience team, you’ll be on the forefront of creating the modern observability experience. Our mission is to take APM to the next level by building intuitive user experiences that integrate with community based standards like OpenTelemetry and W3C Trace Context. You will work together with New Relic's Open Source instrumentation engineers, exploring better ways to visualize and organize new sources of data. You will collaborate across organizational boundaries to create reusable components that other teams will depend on to deliver their own experiences. Not only will you help our customers improve how they troubleshoot their applications, but you will be a key part of shaping the future of how the observability industry thinks about and visualizes modern, open source telemetry.
This team is a phenomenal place to grow as an engineer. We have smart, supportive, and cultivating teammates, a wide product and technical landscape to explore, and an abundance of leadership and technical opportunities where you can shine. If you’re a mid-career or senior frontend engineer who is ready to work on a set of forward-looking projects in open source, this might be the role for you!
What You’ll Do
In the first month, you will:
- Become familiar with APM concepts and existing user experiences and workflows through our onboarding program, demos from your peers, and independent study
- Work collectively on a small team using agile practices to ship your first PR to production
- Build or migrate new UIs that interface with high-throughput data streaming systems, computing and storage infrastructure
- Directly attend customer interviews to better understand customer needs and use-cases
In the first three months, you will:
- Ship incrementally and often, helping the team to maintain a constant flow of feedback on its work
- Partner with product management, design and other engineers to rebuild or reimagine how data from open sources is presented
- Act as advisor for other internal UI engineering teams who haven’t been exposed to the new open standards data model - help them understand the differences and where it impacts their work
- Help us deliver at a higher level through mentoring, pairing, code reviews and providing support
- Influence the direction of our roadmap, team processes, and become a significant contributor to planning and execution
In your first six months, you will:
- Collaborate with instrumentation focused teams to build out curated experiences specific to programming language community needs
- Work with a DevOps approach - while the pathfinding nature of the team means we’re not on call, yet, you should be prepared to evolve with us into a production supporting role which would include participating in an on-call rotation for the experiences we own
- At least 4 years of professional frontend development experience
- Strong React fundamentals with demonstrated experience writing performant and reusable components
- Experience working within the constraints of a design framework (e.g. Material-UI, Ant, etc)
- Experience querying data from a variety of sources such as GraphQL, REST APIs, and key/value datastores
- A love of data visualization
- Experience reviewing PRs and applying best practices to reviews
- Collaborative working style and excellent communication skills
- A curious personality with a drive for learning and a desire to champion the continuous improvement attitude
Nice to Have:
- Testing experience with Jest
- Experience with or interest in contributing to and managing Open Source projects
- Experience writing for internal or external blogs
- Experience taking designs from concept to a fully functional interface
- Bonus points for previous experience in observability/monitoring
To expedite your application process, please include a short cover letter telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you think we would work well together.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.