Plans and coordinates a variety of VDOT funded roadway improvement projects to include designing, preparing specifications, reviewing plans, coordinating construction projects, and maintaining budgets. Directs projects to ensure they are implemented on schedule, within the budget and in accordance with the plans and specifications, following City, VDOT and FHWA procedures. Provides engineering support to other departments within the City.
Examples of Duties
- Plans, schedules and implements assigned Capital Improvement design. Coordinates projects with other city departments and public and private agencies. Reviews geotechnical information, utility capacity and maintenance requirements.
- Prepares design/construction schedule and detailed construction cost estimates; conducts value engineering analysis and recommends alternate materials/systems. Establishes design criteria, environmental impact, and projected completion dates. Prepares final project design which includes staff, city personnel and citizen input. Ensures requirements for applicable regulations.
- Prepares bid packages and alternate recommendations to include project specifications. Reviews contractors' bids; conducts negotiations and pre-construction conferences with project team.
- Provides support, cost estimates and design information to city departments. Provides support and evaluation in event of natural disaster.
- Serves as resource for engineering and infrastructure issues. Investigates and answers questions and complaints about capital improvement projects.
- Prepares reports for Engineering Manager, City Engineer, other department heads, City Manager and/or Council. Maintains files and related data on projects.
- Performs other related duties assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field; requires a minimum of three (3) years of civil engineering work experience which includes technical specification writing, civil engineering design principles, and financial management. Knowledge of local and state construction codes and regulations. Knowledge of VDOT and FHWA procedures, standards, and other requirements for project implementation. Knowledge of roadway plans development and interpretation, surveying, construction techniques and construction management. Skill in reading, interpreting, and evaluating complex technical drawings, plans, specifications, and contracts related to the design and construction of VDOT construction projects. Ability to explain and interpret policies, and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to foster effective public relations and work effectively with diverse groups. Ability to prepare written correspondence and reports of a complex nature such as specifications, cost estimates, bids, etc. Ability to explain and interpret complex policies, standards and regulations. EIT (Engineering In Training) certification required; Licensed Engineer in the State of Virginia preferred. Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and satisfactory driving record based on the City of Hampton's criteria. Experience may substitute for education on the basis of one year directly applicable experience for each year of education.
Performs duties under general supervision of the City Engineer or his designee. Works closely with other engineering staff to coordinate projects and resources. Requires frequent travel throughout the city. Extensive contact with city departments and related outside agencies. Requires some duties to be performed after normal working hours and/or outdoors in all weather conditions. This is an exempt position.