Job ID: 139986
Headquartered in Lexington, Kentucky, the Mountain Companies (comprised of Mountain Enterprises, Mountain Materials, and Mountain Aggregates) have been providing asphalt paving and aggregate services to the state of Kentucky for decades. From concrete construction to asphalt paving and quarry operations, we at the Mountain Companies pride ourselves on the multitude of services we can offer our customers. Privately owned and operated until 2006, the Mountain Companies later joined Oldcastle Materials. By being a part of the Oldcastle family, we are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that come together to form Oldcastle. Oldcastle is the number one asphalt producer, the third-largest aggregates producer, and one of the top 5 ready mixed concrete producers in the Unites States. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
The Screed Operator is responsible for the operation of the screed, which is on the rear of the paving machine. The operator is responsible for setting the depth and width of the asphalt as it is laid by the paving machine
- Has responsibility for setting the depth and width of the asphalt. It is a critical part of the road building process, as the depth must be exact to the specifications.
- Shovels asphalt into holes in the surface and/or areas where the paving machine cannot access.
- Provides excellent internal customer service. Exceeds internal customers' expectations of services.
- Follows all safety, compliance and environmental requirements in alignment with company standards.
- Performs related work as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Education/Experience
- High school diploma or General Education Degree GED is preferred but not required.
- Previous related experience in the construction field a plus.
- CDL's are preferred but not required.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as per company policy.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes and Safety Vest.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, good physical fitness, a good sense of balance, and an ability to work as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
Mountain Companies is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Mountain Companies is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.