How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for assisting registered professional nurses, in the care of the patient. He/she performs all of the essential generic job functions as listed below.
- Welcomes patients and checks for proper identification bracelets.
- Prepares the patient for assessment/admission, physical examination and procedures. 3. Draws intravenous or capillary blood from newborn through geriatric aged patients using proper aseptic collection techniques, assure appropriate labeling and processing of specimens to expedite through put of patients.
- Performs EKG for patients as directed.
- Compiles EKG reports for physician interpretation (including associated billing charges).
- Assures the presence, functionality and cleanliness of all necessary equipment.
- Assists in the transport of patient to departments or units upon request.
- Assists with preparation as necessary assuring the patient is assisted with meals/ or fed as needed.
- Checks inventory of assigned area and restocks as directed.
- Ensures room environment is prepared for admission.
- Provides direct hygiene and comfort care to patients including bathing, toileting, oral hygiene, incontinent care, and bed making.
- Takes vital signs on admission under the direction of the RN, and documents accordingly on appropriate flow sheets, and notifies the RN of results, assists with admission as appropriate inclusive of checking of patient ID bands.
- Performs and documents glucose finger sticks and collects other specimens as directed.
- Obtains and documents daily patient weights and observes and documents patient's intake and output.
- Provides a safe patient environment by answering call lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any change ion the patient's condition.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs not limited to (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.)
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies and Standards of Behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- To work every other weekend.
- To work three (3) out of six (6) holidays.
- To work rotating schedule/shifts based on needs.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or Patient Care Technician who has successfully completed a PCT program which includes Phlebotomy, EKG and nursing assistant course both in the theoretical and clinical setting.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Nursing Assistant for inpatient care areas, Certified Medical Assistant for outpatient care areas.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!