Participates and coordinate in specialized and complex microscopic screening of all cytology preparations for the evidence of cancer, neoplasm or other disease processes. Assists Radiologists and Pathologists with fine needle aspiration biopsies.
1. Screens and renders final diagnosis on normal Pap smears.
2. Identifies and marks atypical cells for further review.
3. Assess correctly the type of lesion or entity represented in the cell sample.
4. Assists with fine needle aspiration procedures, prepare slides, stains and renders adequacy of the specimens.
5. Recognizes inadequacy, proper processing and staining of the cell samples.
6. Records cytological findings legibly on the worksheet and enters necessary data in the laboratory computer system.
7. Documents quality control and quality assurance findings as required by the department and other regulatory agencies.
8. Maintains sufficient supplies at work station.
9. Ensures and maintains quality control and assurance activities.
10. Uses Infection Control practices and procedures.
11. Performs other related duties: cytopreparation and secretarial duties, as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required. Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology, Basic Science or related field, preferred.
- Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Cytotechnologist (or as appropriate to area of assignment), required.
- Minimum of one (1) year work experience and/or training specific to the work being done in the area noted above required.