Manage the overall daily operations of the store location. Responsible for the store location budgeted sales goals as well as budgeted gross and net profit goals. Keeping controllable costs such as labor, supplies, expenses, etc. at expected levels. Supervise, lead, and develop store personnel. Ensure a customer service oriented environment that is friendly, properly staffed and well trained. Maintain quality and freshness of product, well-stocked departments and cleanliness of the total store. Increase store sales with strong merchandising skills and promotions. Serving as the leader for this store location in all aspects of business and being a good neighbor to the community in which this store is located. Ensure that all policy and procedure is followed for the safety and security of our associates, our customers, and our company.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide exceptional service for customers through maintaining a strong management team, quality associates, and planning adequate coverage through scheduling.
- Understand and promote company benefits including ESOP, 401k, insurance, etc.
- Oversee the hiring and termination of associates to maintain staffed store.
- Ensure required department and computer based training to increase retention of quality associates.
- Ensure all aspects of company policy and procedures in regards to good business and department practices are followed.
- Oversee and follow all safety and security measures including theft and/or robbery.
- Interact professionally with management team, associates, supervision, and customers.
- Enforce fund-handling procedures for safety and loss prevention necessity including bank deposits, safe deposits, gas and go fund transport.
- Conduct store key accountability monthly.
- Responsible for monitoring and overseeing the enforcement of all local, state, federal, and company labor guidelines for all associates including associates under the age of 18.
- Oversee and monitor policy in regards to the sale of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Checking, completing, and sending of vital department reports, management reports, documents, and paperwork via written, verbal, or e-mail to the appropriate persons
- Conduct weekly and/or monthly meetings with department heads and/or department associates, including Feelings meetings and Exceptional Service meetings.
- Complete and verify store and department projections for accuracy and timeliness.
- Utilize time management skills and prioritization to accomplish tasks through management team and associates.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels in all departments as to incur few out-of-stocks, but with limited days supply on hand.
- Oversee and monitor accurate retail pricing within guidelines.
- Monitor competitive price checks on critical items such as fuel, milk, and soft drinks.
- Must listen to and resolve complaints or issues brought to the attention of the management team from supervision, associates, management team, and customers.
- Understand and enforce all local and state health department rules and practices as well as federal OSHA guidelines and company HACCP policy.
- Maintain necessary government documents and postings to assure compliance.
- Understand and follow all LP policy including CCTV observations, security logs, and shoplifting handling procedures.
- Understand and follow confidentiality policy in regards to company information as well as personnel information.
- Understand and enforce policy in regards to refrigeration alarms.
- Other duties as required.
- Three to five years experience in retail operations, operating as an assistant store manager for at least one year.
- Must be able to resolve differences through diplomatic means
- Must be knowledgeable in various training methods
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and/or written instructions, perform routine and repetitive tasks, and have constant contact/interaction with various levels of individuals on a daily basis
- Flexibility in work hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills
- Must be able to lead by example to give Food City Customers their best shopping experience
- Knowledge of Food City policies and procedures
- Expertise of all job duties associates must perform in each area of responsibility
- Ability to attend on-site work during scheduled shifts to adhere to company time and attendance policies
About Food City:
Food City is a privately held, family-owned company with a driving mission to “run the best store in town.“ Dedicated to giving back to the communities we serve, we encourage our associates to get involved with their local civic organizations.
We consider our associates to be our greatest asset. Over 13% of the company is currently owned by our associates through our employee stock ownership plan, promoting tremendous pride in the services and products we provide.
Whether your passion is baking, accounting, or trucking, Food City has a promising career opportunity for you. We offer flexible schedules to ensure our associates have ample time to spend with family and friends. If you're looking for a great career or the opportunity to try something different, consider becoming part of the Food City family.