BDO's Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
Our Specialized Tax Services (“STS“) Research & Development (“R&D“) business has doubled in the last three years and tripled in the last six. STS R&D Associates have been key to our success, and they are central to our plans to continue as one of BDO's premiere national consulting practices.
As an STS R&D Associate, you will help achieve BDO's core purpose—helping people thrive every day—by helping companies and individuals identify and claim government incentives designed to promote innovation and economic and job growth in the U.S. Like the R&D Tax Credit.
Our clients are leaders in innovation in virtually every industry, from technology, manufacturing, life sciences, and healthcare to retail, consumer products, and natural resources. As an STS R&D Associate, you will have the opportunity and charge to innovate as well, collaborating with BDOers in all of our business lines as well as with our clients' innovation leaders, in tax, accounting, and finance, and also in their R&D, engineering, software, manufacturing, scientific, medical, and other R&D-related departments.
STS R&D's short-term mission is to help our clients as efficiently and effectively as possible identify, document, and support on examination by tax authorities all of the R&D-related incentives to which they are legally entitled. Our longer term goal is to develop an understanding of them as people and of all aspects of their business so that we are well positioned as their trusted advisors, as professionals who understand both their business operations and business drivers as well as how BDO can help them realize their goals.
In pursuing this mission, we are also seeking to help our STS R&D Associates become trusted advisors, ensuring they have a clear sense of the importance and responsibilities of such a role, as well as the training and opportunities to fill it.
Toward that end, STS R&D Associates pursue opportunities to enable them to gain and improve their skills in every aspect of professional service, including technical, interpersonal, oral and written communication, project management, practice management, and business development.
More specifically, STS R&D Associates responsibilities include, e.g.:
- Proactively assisting in the execution of multiple client engagements
- Collaborating with other STS R&Ders in all aspects of our business, e.g., innovating; developing and implementing better strategies and processes for our services, marketing, etc.
- Establishing effective working relationships directly with STS R&Ders and our clients, internal—other BDOers—and external
- Contributing to the development of your own and to STS R&D's technical acumen and market prominence
- Keeping up to date with local and national business and economic issues
- Being actively involved in business development activities to further develop your own professional network, with BDOers and others, and to help identify and research opportunities for new and existing clients
- Contributing to, supporting, and enhancing the culture of STS R&D, our local offices, and BDO as a globally leading professional services firm.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant field, required
- One (1) or more years of prior experience, required
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Microsoft Word and advanced level skillset in Microsoft Excel, preferredLanguage:
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm
- Ability to work independently within a team environment and with a customer service focus
- Superior organizational skills and project management skills required with ability to multi-task in a fast- paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong initiative and drive to lead while seeking opportunities to enhance and grow the R&D practice