The Cook II is a mid-skill level position responsible for preparing meals and following establishment recipes to include; preparing ingredients, adhering to restaurant menu, and following food health and safety procedures. Cook, clean, assist other cooks and staff, and deliver quality food in a fast-paced environment. Work may include operating a grill, oven, or fryer.
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Prepare plated, batch and banquet menu items in accordance to established recipes and standards.
- Prepare menu items maintaining proper portion control for all items, presentation and cooked to proper temperature.
- Follow prep guidelines to limit over production.
- Prep menu/banquet items to specs outlined by Kitchen Manager.
- Set up and break down work stations and production areas according to assigned shift duties.
- Maintain County HACCP food sanitation standards throughout all areas and steps of food production.
- Work any station in the prep area or in the kitchen as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or Supervisor
- Communicate with Kitchen Manager or Supervisor on production problems, “86'd“ items or items dragging.
- Practice safety in knife handling, equipment operation, lifting, working with open flame and all other areas of food production.
- Use proper product rotation of perishable items practicing first in first out method of use.
- Maintain professional communication with front of the house staff and co-workers.
- Ensure quality control of all items prepped and/or cooked.
- Adhere to all sanitation, safety, risk management and environmental policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with all stations and equipment in all department kitchens including batch production, prep, pantry and dish. Usually acquired through at least one year previous cooking experience in a high volume ala carte or batch production setting.
- Knowledge of food sanitation regulations with ability to apply these regulations while on the job.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) skills are desired to effectively communicate with all staff.
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed directions).
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions).
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills).
- Basic math skills.
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- Work in inclement kitchen conditions. (heat, steam, cold, chemicals)
- Work safely to ensure company equipment is secure.
- Wear protective equipment as required by the job duties.
- Complete required food safety courses and certifications.
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Constantly standing, walking, twisting, using eye/hand coordination, manual dexterity, handling, wrist motion, bending/ stooping.
- Frequently carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 40lbs.
- Occasionally carrying, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 100lbs.
- Constantly listening, hearing, seeing, and speaking.
- Will be required to stand and walk for long periods of time on cement floors and to occasionally walk on uneven surfaces.
- Static Strength-The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength-The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without giving our or fatiguing.
As a Xanterra Tusayan employee, you have a responsibility to protect the environment. While on duty, you are to comply with all environmental regulations and policies, prevent pollution of the environment, reduce waste and recycle.