The Department of Physics & Astronomy at Rowan University seeks an Instrumentation Specialist who will focus on the technical tasks related to the maintenance and repair of instrumentation affiliated with the Department. In addition, the person will be responsible
for training students and staff on the proper use of instrumentation, maintaining stock of consumable materials associated with the instrumentation, and be responsible for maintaining instrument scheduling software and compiling quarterly itemized usage
summaries as a primary step in billing/invoicing for instrument use. The Instrumentation Specialist will also interface with external users who need access to the instrumentation.
- Candidate must have a Ph.D. or equivalent in electrical engineering, physics, mechanical engineering or related field. A Master's degree with proven experience using similar instruments to those used in the department or equivalent skills would be considered for the position.
- Performs or manages maintenance and repairs of research equipment
- Install or manage the installation of new/used equipment
- Purchase materials used in machine shop and maintains machine shop
- Supervise new users on instrumentation and provide initial training
- Manage instruction and scheduling of external users of instrumentation
- Participate in instrument development/modification
- Prepare and monitor budget for repairs, modifications, purchases
- Oversee billing for use of department equipment
- Serve as primary contact to other department/college users
- Serves as liaison to Environmental Health & Safety
- Supervise undergraduate and graduate students
- Supervise senior research staff and visiting researchers on instruments
The Department of Physics & Astronomy is located in Science Hall that houses twelve distinct research facilities, allowing for student-faculty collaborative research. These facilities include labs for magnetic properties, computational physics and astronomy, physical properties, microscopy, biophysics optics, thin film deposition, condensed matter laser trapping, laser spectroscopy, biomaterials, and biophysics.
To apply for the position, please submit an application containing a vita, a copy of graduate transcripts (unofficial transcripts are fine for the review process), and contact information for three references. The candidate should also submit a summary of their experience using
instrumentation. A short description of experience on the instrument would be helpful to the search committee. However, this document should not exceed two pages. The application must be submitted by November 27 for full consideration however applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For further information or questions regarding this position, please email email@example.com.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Background check required. The position is contingent upon budget appropriations. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the USA, and the university will not sponsor an applicant for a
work visa for this position.
AFT Range: 24
Advertised: Dec 3 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 17 2019 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend