This entry level Technical Services position will report to the Area or District Technical Services Manager and is responsible for ensuring the quality of the concrete products for assigned plants and jobsites.
- Monitor mix designs and oversee plant adherence to same. Adjust mix designs as raw material sources change.
- Spot check for proper design, scale weights, water demand, slump, entrained air, yield, unit weight, materials mix, and any other required specifications at field locations and at the plants.
- Perform physical tests of the concrete at the plant and in the field as required, make adjustments to admixtures, water trims etc. to improve production when appropriate.
- Observe and record activities of outside testing agencies and contractors as they relate to and affect both the fresh and finished product.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with customers, government agencies, inspectors, sales, distribution, production, etc.
- Keep written daily log of activities and observations and report in writing to management as required. Note misuse of products by drivers or customers and take measures to correct same. Report field issues to Area/District Tech Services Manager
- Input statistical data into the computer on a regular basis.
- Investigate complaints regarding product quality or quantity and prepare documentation of corrective action, if needed. Give opinions when appropriate to customers concerning field issues. Report concerns to management.
- Create and maintain a safe environment not only for yourself but others.
- Create and maintain good housekeeping practices in the lab and at the plants.
Preferred Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Develop and maintain up to date knowledge of all relevant governing specifications for concrete products. (i.e. ACI, ASTM, and DOT, etc.)
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of relevant concrete ingredients and their application (aggregates, cements, admixtures, etc.)
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Command Batch Batching system.
- Ability to check for proper mix design, scale weights, water demand, slump, entrained air, yield, unit weight, materials mix, and any other required specifications at field locations and at the plants.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with customers, inspectors, sales, distribution, production, etc.
- Generate ideas to improve quality and increased margins in all operations.
- May temporarily lead a small team on larger projects or placements.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with internal and external customers
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is preferred
Education and Experience
- Minimum High School Diploma with strong math skills.
- Related Bachelor’s degree preferred not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Computer literacy is required. MS Office experience preferred.
- Some concrete testing experience or similar preferred. Inexperience can be offset with appropriate college courses and or related degree.
- Successfully complete ACI Level 1 Field Testing Certified, ACI Strength Testing Technician, ACI Aggregate Testing Technician 1
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- The ability to lift up to 60 lbs. to waist high a minimum of 10 times a day.
- The ability to climb an 8 foot plus ladder numerous times throughout the day.
- The ability to walk and stand on uneven or slippery surfaces for an 8+ hour day.
- Must be able to operate Company vehicle for minimum 8 hours per day including entering and exiting the vehicle frequently.
- Business Writing
- Crucial Conversations
- Dispute Resolution
- ACI or State DOT (LA)
- ACI Strength Testing Certified
- ACI Aggregate Testing Certified
- Batch Training (internal)
- Command Batch Training basics
- Guardian Angel/Wingman
- Smith System Training
- Reasonable Suspicion
- OSHA 10
The statement above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.