Student Trainee (Engineering), ZP-0899-I (GS-1/6 equivalent)

Department Of Commerce Gaithersburg, MD
* Duties

Help Duties Summary

This position is located in the Indoor Air Quality and Ventilation Group in the Energy and Environment Division of the Engineering Laboratory at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. You will support research efforts related to indoor air quality in buildings, including laboratory and

simulation studies of chemical emissions from building materials and control technologies.

This is a Student Internship opportunity under the Pathways Program.

Your application package may be shared with other selecting officials at NIST with opportunities like the one you are applying to. Additional selections may be made through this vacancy.

Learn more about this agency


NOTE: At the time of application, ALL APPLICANTS are required TO BE ENROLLED or HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED for enrollment and seeking a degree, diploma or certificate in a qualifying educational institution on a FULL OR HALF-TIME basis. Copies of your unofficial transcripts and/or a current proof of enrollment letter are required at the time of application to be considered for this program. The enrollment letter can be obtained from your school.

The candidate will support projects related to indoor air quality and ventilation in buildings. Tasks involve working in the laboratory or computer simulations studying interactions of building design, building activities and ventilation system performance on contaminant levels in indoor air and on building energy use. Lab responsibilities include equipment assembly and calibration, data collection, data analysis and assistance in preparation of reports to project sponsors. Computer simulations responsibilities include learning new software tools, analyzing data, and reporting data in reports or articles. The use of computer programs, e.g., Excel, Mathematica, Matlab, or other programming languages, to collect and analyze data is needed, though choice of software is up to the applicant's ability.

Travel Required

Not required

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


Who May Apply This job is open to…

* Student/Internship program eligible

Questions? This job is open to 1 group.

* Job family (Series)

0899 Engineering And Architecture Student Trainee

* Requirements

Help Requirements Conditions of Employment

* You must be a U.S. citizen.

* You must be registered for Selective Service.

* You must be suitable for Federal employment.

* You must be at least 16 years of age

* Must be enrolled at least half time at a qualifying institution

* Must possess a grade point average (GPA) of a 3.0 or higher out of a 4.0.

All applicants must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, degree) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). In addition, you must be enrolled in school for the duration of the appointment. You will be required to provide documentation to support your eligibility for the program.

Applicants must possess a grade point average (GPA) of a 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0. Grade-point averages are to be rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0 and 2.94 will round to 2.9.If you are submitting an acceptance/enrollment letter from your university you MUST also upload your last known unofficial transcript containing your cumulative GPA. If you do not provide proof of GPA, you will be disqualified from further consideration.

Applicants must be enrolled in a directly related degree program

Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.

Your resume must be complete (i.e., include dates of experience, salary, work schedule, etc.), detailed and relevant to the position.


Basic Requirements: Applicants must be currently pursuing a degree in Engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; OR (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.

Applicants must submit proof of current enrollment as a student and display cumulative GPA.

Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains Federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the OPM website located at http:///


PROOF OF ENROLLMENT FOR THE CURRENT SEMESTER. This may be documented on your official/unofficial transcripts, a course schedule, an acceptance letter from your university for future enrollment, or an official letter of enrollment from the university registrar's office or a university counselor, as long as your enrollment for the current semester is clearly documented. If you do not provide proof of enrollment for the current semester, you will be disqualified from further consideration.

If you are currently enrolled, but in your last semester/quarter of completing your degree/certificate requirements, you must show proof of continuing education, such as an acceptance letter, or you will be disqualified from further consideration.

This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts to document that you have met the education requirement. Official transcripts will be required prior to a final offer of employment.

Foreign education: Individuals educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for a U.S. equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. View a listing of these accredited organizations from the Department of Education's website. Provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing.