Chief Building Engineer
We are currently recruiting for a Chief Building Engineer for our property located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. This is a full-time position, and will have share On-Call requirements with others on some evenings/weekends.
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for all building systems to the building assigned. The Chief Engineer will supervise the activities of site maintenance personnel and outside contractors to liaison with the client, property management and outside vendors ensuring that facility maintenance services are provided. The Chief Engineer reports to the Director of Engineering and will assist as requested.
Avison Young rewards hard work with a comprehensive compensation program including competitive wages and a robust benefits package, 401(k), paid time off and more! Eligibility for our benefits is on the date of hire.
- Responds to customer service requests, delegating tasks when appropriate.
- Manages staff of one, providing assistance and training to subordinates as needed with building maintenance issues.
- Assists with scheduling of multi site maintenance engineers, scheduling after hours/on call coverage and providing backup coverage for assigned properties.
- Conducts daily reviews of grounds upkeep, lighting, ceiling tiles, housekeeping and building storage/mechanical areas and operating equipment. Identifies deficiencies and implements corrective action as necessary.
- Performs scheduled site inspections on assigned properties specifically on alarm/safety/fire extinguisher and equipment and operating HVAC equipment.
- Maintains building certificates for elevators, boiler/pressure vessel, fire/life safety documents.
- Recommends and assists with obtaining proposals for outside contract work.
- Assists with budgeting of repairs and maintenance. Solicits bids for budgeted projects.
- Acts as a liaison for management when dealing with tenants and staff.
- Assists and monitors Tenant Build-Out Projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
High School diploma or GED. Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record. 5 plus years of maintenance experience. CFC Universal Certification. Basic Air Conditioning/Refrigeration Course. Minimum Local Maryland licensing-2nd Grade Engineer or NIULPE 2nd Class
Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic machinery repairs such as gasket replacement, pump removal/installation, soldering.
- Experience with VAV systems, main plant chillers, boilers, cooling towers, air handling units including Planned Maintenance.
- Basic electrical experience in replacing lighting ballast, switches, sockets, breakers, and contactors.
- Be able to remove and replace refrigerants IAW CFC Certification
- Experience with Energy Management Systems.
- Basic computer skills—Word—Excel—Windows—Building Maintenance Systems
- Dependable and good time management skills.
- Excellent management skills and ability to work with all levels of employees, tenants and vendors.
- Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations, and the ability to stoop, stand, climb, frequently lift and manipulate a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment (pumps, tools, ladders).
- Regularly required to crouch and reach to install/move equipment by bending forward at the waist or by bending legs and spine
- Involves movement between departments, floors, and properties to facilitate work; both indoors and outdoors.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations via Career Builder, or submit via email, fax or regular mail:
Avison Young - Human Resources
11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 200
Rockville, Maryland 20852
Email: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please, no calls from recruiters. Avison Young subscribes to the spirit and laws regarding Equal Employment Opportunity. Additionally, Avison Young operates in according with a Drug Free Workplace and conducts drug and alcohol tests.