Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont is the rapidly growing US arm of Boehringer Ingelheim’s Biologics Business Unit. We are a fully integrated biologics operation with over 500 scientist and specialists, covering cutting edge early- to late stage CMC development, clinical and commercial drug substance and drug product manufacturing, medical device assembly for combination products and packaging operations.
We are continuing our rapid growth, investing over $200m into the expansion of our capacity and capabilities, and creating approximately 200 new jobs.
Driving this growth is an exciting pipeline of multiple Boehringer Ingelheim novel biologic entities (NBEs) and biosimilars, as well as, a growing diverse portfolio of therapeutics we develop and manufacture for other leading pharma and biotech companies. This includes multiple commercial product launches planned over the next couple of years, for which we can tap into Boehringer Ingelheim’s unique experience of having brought 30 biologics to market globally.
Leveraging our diverse talent pool, we are also driving technology and innovation globally, through major investment and collaborations into next generation manufacturing platforms and technologies, which may change how biologics will be made in the future.
Whether we work on our own products, help partners to bring their products to market or innovate new technologies and approaches - Everything we do, we do to help patients!
The Master Automation Technician is responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting and improving automation-based systems and solutions which provide for flexible, innovative, cost effective, compliant and quality-focused manufacturing of Bio-pharmaceuticals. The incumbent will provide Automation Technical support to the daily operations, continuous improvement and projects for the Pilot Plant, Bulk Manufacturing, Filling, Assembly, Packaging, Utilities, Facilities and other DCS and PLC Automated Equipment and Control Systems on a GMP regulated environment. The resource will also execute maintenance activities related to data integrity compliance for Automation systems.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Daily Support to Manufacturing, Utilities and Process Development Areas:
- Performs automation controls and instrumentation troubleshooting for systems such as DeltaV Distributed Control System (DCS), Siemens Apogee Building Management System (BMS), and Programable Logic Controllers (PLCs) by following the failure from system alarms to sensors, instrumentation, motor drives, Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), electrical controls and Input/Output cards. All troubleshooting is performed following Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Documentation Practices (GDP), and Site Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The Master Automation Technician will participate in rotating shifts to support Manufacturing 24/7.
- Troubleshoots communication issues on communication protocols such as Profibus, Ethernet IP and DeviceNet and ControlNet.
- Reads and understands electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, instrumentation and controls diagrams to use them as assistance during troubleshooting of instrumentation, electrical controls, electrical motors and servomotors.
- Troubleshoots and program VFD’s and Kinetics Servo drives.
- Perform on-line software/parameters modifications in the Automation systems, when required for urgent troubleshooting purposes, after obtaining the required authorization.
- Communicates Technical issues to non-technical supporting resources to enable decision making and resolution approvals.
- The incumbent will be required to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals with minimal supervision.
- Maintenance and Reliability:
- Maintains automation systems and automated equipment by executing Preventive Maintenance (PM) as per maintenance plan/schedule, and documenting the maintenance activities following Good Documentation Practices (GDPs).
- Provides support for timely Work Orders resolution and closure. Participates in maintenance done by outside vendors, including oversight of the activities and any related documentation.
- Continuous Improvement:
- Supports the optimization of the automation systems by identifying and implementing improvement opportunities.
- Implements low and medium complexity technical changes to existing control system hardware and software, including basic programming in Function Block and Ladder Logic languages, and the generation/execution of GMP documentation required for the modifications.
- Identifies and implement opportunities to improve the preventive and maintenance program. Identify and communicates opportunities to implement Predictive Maintenance.
- Contributes to, and supports, the Business Process Excellence Team (BPE) activities to ensure a continuous optimization of process and compliance.
- Compliance and Reliability:
- Modifies existing Automated Equipment code/logic to implement low and medium complexity modifications for continuous improvement. All modifications are performed adhering to Bio-pharmaceutical GMP change control standards, procedures and policies.
- Modifies system specifications and standard operating procedures for the systems supported.
- Train users and peers on control system functionality, programmable logic controller (PLC), Human Machine Interface (HMI), computer/control networks, instrumentation and data integrity concepts.
- Support software and hardware life cycle management efforts to maintain systems current and compliant.
- Performs Data Integrity PMs for Automation Supported Systems such as data backups, and user accounts management.
- Provides documentation, testing, commissioning and validation support as needed by low and high complexity Projects.
- Supports information gathering and presentation of topics during audits.
- Capital Projects:
- Supports Capital Projects by participating in the design, implementation and testing activities in collaboration with cross-functional teams. These projects may be new systems and/or retrofit of existing.
- Provides Technical Support to projects.
- Supports the qualification of automated systems.
- Global Engineering Network for automation and standardization:
- Supports definition and implementation of best practice of automation technical standards and procedures.
- If required, contributes BIs knowledge to national and international standard committees (VDI, ISO, ISPE,..) to represent Biopharmaceutical interests and progress.
- Represents automation systems in compliance audits.
- Adheres to safety related company and regulatory standards.
- Associate Degree or Technical Certificate from a 2-year accredited Technical School or College in disciplines such as Engineering Technician, Electrician, or Instrumentation and Controls Technician.
- Eight (8) years of experience in GMP regulated environment.
- Must have a strong background in Automated Equipment and Automation Systems maintenance and troubleshooting; must be knowledgeable and experienced in the configuration, support and troubleshooting of one or more of the following systems: DeltaV DCS, Siemens Apogee BMS, SCADA and PLC control based systems (Allen-Bradley, Siemens Simatic), and Variable Frequency Drives (ABB, Allen-Bradley VFDs). Other Automated Control Systems to be supported includes Siemens Simatic and Rockwell HMIs, Cognex Vision Systems, Sick Sensors, and Serialization (Track and Trace) systems.
- Basic knowledge of networking communications such as Ethernet IP, Profibus, DeviceNet, and ControlNet; and programming using Ladder Logic and Function Blocks.
- Proficient understanding P&IDs and Electrical/Instrumentation diagrams.
- The applicant must have understanding and experience working on GMP regulated environment such as Bio-pharmaceutical/Pharmaceutical industry.
- Proficient in using personal computers and a working knowledge of software such as MS Excel and Word.
- Must have the ability to analyze, investigate and help solve technical issues involving the equipment. Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be flexible to work nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to work with very minimum supervision.
- Must be self oriented and proactive.
- Must have a good attitude regarding safety and lock-out/tag-out procedures.
- Strong analytical skills to identify potential improvement opportunities, and drive to opportunities to realization.
- Subject matter expert in the support of automation systems.
- General understanding of functions supporting Biopharmaceutical or other high-tech manufacturing.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams in the implementation of sustainable automation solutions.
- Experience in a regulated manufacturing environment, preferably pharmaceuticals.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or loLcal law.