The Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) is home to most of the state's human services and health care programs, including the Department for Medicaid Services, the Department for Community Based Services the Department for Public Health, the Department for Aging and Independent Living and the Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities. CHFS is one of the largest agencies in state government, with nearly 8,000 full- and part-time employees located across the Commonwealth focused on improving the lives and health of Kentuckians.
The Department for Public Health's Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) is the only official system of vital statistics in the Commonwealth. OVS has developed systems that modernized manual processes. There is a need for continued development of systems in support of 3 distinct core functions. OVS functions include quality control and information systems activities directly supporting and protecting vital records. OVS is comprised of dedicated individuals who provide excellent customer service.
The Administrative Specialist II position professionally interprets and applies laws, rules, regulations (KRS 213/KAR 901:5) and office policies applicable to the administration of the Office of Vital Statistic's (OVS).
Responsibilities for the position:
- Ensures confidentiality and security of all vital records.
- Professionally communicates via telephone, face-to-face or written document with administrators, attorneys, state and federal agencies, customers and the public for required information.
- Researches, gathers and prepares information for various reports, including reports required by Federal contract.
- Performs detailed technical evaluation of all original hardcopy marriage records, divorce records, birth records, and death records in accordance with KRS 213 and office policies.
- Drafts correspondence to attorneys, state and federal agencies, customers and the public advising correct actions to complete the processing of either manual or electronic records.
- Assigns state file numbers to each certificate to prepare for permanent retention.
- Review, collect, enter, analyze data and make updates to appropriate databases.
- Attends meetings to improve, modernize procedures and processes to ensure efficient operations within the office.
- Scrutinize information on documents received to guard against fraud when amending and correcting vital records.
- Performs appropriate edits and follow up for records requiring corrections.
- Completes data entry of vital records and correspondence received that are required to be entered into databases.
- Completes all registered records electronically and manually as directed by regulations (KRS 213) and office policies applicable to the administration of the Office of Vital Statistics (OVS).
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should have the following skills:
- Ability to work under pressure and decision-making.
- Leadership skills
- Organizational and Communication Skills
- Analytical and Creative Thinking
- Time management
- Teamwork and Initiative
The Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in U.S. CHFS will only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that CHFS has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at 888-897-7781 or https://www.e-verify.gov/
EDUCATION: Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: One year of professional, administrative, or business experience.
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: Additional education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: Additional administrative, business, research, and/or clerical experience will substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): NONE
Incumbents working in this job title primarily perform duties in an office setting.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Lisa Holder at Lisa.Holder@ky.gov or 502-564-4212.