The Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) is home to most of the state's human services and health care programs, including the Department for Medicaid Services, the Department for Community Based Services the Department for Public Health, the Department for Aging and Independent Living and the Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities. CHFS is one of the largest agencies in state government, with nearly 8,000 full- and part-time employees located across the Commonwealth focused on improving the lives and health of Kentuckians.
The Department for Public Health's Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) is the only official system of vital statistics in the Commonwealth. OVS has developed systems that modernized manual processes. There is a need for continued development of systems in support of 3 distinct core functions. OVS functions include quality control and information systems activities directly supporting and protecting vital records. OVS is comprised of dedicated individuals who provide excellent customer service.
The Administrative Specialist III position professionally interprets and applies laws, rules, regulations (KRS 213/KAR 901:5) and office policies applicable to the administration of the Office of Vital Statistic's (OVS).
Responsibilities for the position:
- Plans, organizes, distributes, supervises and checks the work of employees engaged in performing administrative functions of vital events.
- Prepares and performs employee evaluations.
- Executes functions that directly affect the Office of Vital Statistics program by providing professional support to the office in maintaining the complexities in the fulfillment of vital statistics. Statistic Ensures data on vital events records (new birth, still birth, foreign birth, B5/established birth, marriage and divorce) meet required completeness and acceptability to be registered as original, permanent legal documents.
- Interprets departmental policy and KRS laws through professional communications to the public, sister agencies and employees.
- Plans, conducts and schedules regular in-service training, cross training and meetings when necessary.
- Trains all new vital events employees.
- Provides weekly, monthly and annual reports to the Branch Manager and requesting agencies.
- Assist Section Supervisors, Branch Manager and State Registrar as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of supplies and notifying supervisor when supplies are needed.
- Ensure all volumes of original certificates are preserved and repaired as necessary and returned to secured storage.
- Provides excellent customer service. Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should have the following skills:
- Ability to work under pressure and decision-making.
- Leadership skills
- Organizational and Communication Skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical and Creative Thinking
- Time management
- Teamwork and Initiative
The Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in U.S. CHFS will only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that CHFS has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at 888-897-7781 or https://www.e-verify.gov/
EDUCATION: Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: Three years of professional, administrative, or business experience.
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: Additional education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: Additional administrative, business, research, and/or clerical experience will substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): NONE
Incumbents working in this job title primarily perform duties in an office setting.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Jeffrey Sparks at JeffreyE.Sparks@ky.gov or 502-564-4212.