Requisition Number: REMOT01194
Since 1996, Surgical Information Systems (“SIS”) has been dedicated to providing surgical care providers with the solutions and services they need to deliver improved operational, financial, and clinical outcomes.
Focused exclusively on perioperative IT, the SIS award-winning product suite is built specifically for the perioperative environment and includes hospital and ASC-focused solutions covering perioperative Electronic Medical Records (EMRs), Anesthesia Information Management Systems (AIMS), ASC business management, and business intelligence and analytics solutions. Services include revenue cycle management to complement SIS’s software solutions.
SIS is a 2021 Top Workplaces USA Award winner, chosen based solely on employee feedback gathered through an employee engagement survey issued by Energage.
For more information, visit SISFirst.com.
Black Book Research Rankings – “Top Technology Solutions: Ambulatory Surgical Centers” February 2020, “Top Technology Solutions: Ambulatory Surgical Centers” April 2019, “Top Ambulatory Electronic Health Records Solutions: Ambulatory Surgical Centers” April 2018, “Top Electronic Medical Records/Electronic Health Records Vendors” April 2017, & “Top Ambulatory Electronic Health Records Vendors Comparative Performance Result Set of Top EHR Vendors,” May 2016.
SIS, the SIS logo, and Surgical Information Systems are trademarks of Surgical Information Systems, LLC. AmkaiSolutions, AmkaiCharts, AmkaiOffice, and AmkaiAnalytics are trademarks of Amkai LLC. AdvantX, Vision, and SurgiSource are trademarks of SourceMedical Solutions, Inc. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owner.
THIS IS A REMOTE POSITION:
The Medical Coder will play a key role in reviewing and analyzing medical billing and coding for processing. The Medical Coder will review and accurately code ambulatory surgical procedures for reimbursement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtain operative reports
- Obtain implant invoices, implant logs, and pathology reports as applicable
- Supports the importance of accurate, complete and consistent coding practices for the production of quality healthcare data.
- Adheres to the ICD-9/ICD-10 coding conventions, official coding guidelines approved by CPT, AMA, AAOS, and CCI.
- Uses skills and knowledge of the currently mandated coding and classification systems, and official resources to select the appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes.
- Assigns and reports the codes that are clearly supported by documentation in the health record.
- Consults physicians for clarification and additional documentation prior to code assignment when there is conflicting or ambiguous data in the health record.
- Strives for the optimal payment to which the facility is legally entitled.
- Assists and educates physicians and other clinicians by advocating proper documentation practices.
- Maintains and continually enhances coding skills. Coders need to be aware of changes in codes, guidelines, and regulations. They are required to maintain 90% or above coding accuracy average.
- Codes a minimum of 50 cases on a daily basis.
- Assures accurate operative reports by checking spelling, noting omissions and errors and returning to transcription for correction.
- Codes all third party carriers and self- pay cases equitably for patient services and supplies provided.
- Adheres to OIG guidelines which include:
- Diagnosis coding must be accurate and carried to the highest level of specificity.
- Claim forms will not be altered to obtain a higher amount.
- All coding will reflect accurately the services provided and cases reviewed for the possibility of “unbundling”, “up-coding” or downcoding.”
- Coders may be involved in denials of claims for coding issues.
- Some centers require a code disagree form be completed. Coders are required to provide their supporting documentation to be presented to the center for approval. (Surg Centers call this a coding variance)
- Ensures the coding site specifics are updated as needed for each center assigned.
- Identifies and tracks all cases that are not able to be billed due to lacking information such as operative notes, path reports, supply information etc. On a weekly/daily basis provide a documented request to the center requesting the information needed.
- Responsible for properly performing month end tasks within the established timeframe including running month end reports for each center assigned and tracking of cases that are not yet billed for the month.
- Cases will be reviewed as part of an in-house audit process to ensure quality and accuracy of claims. Corrections may be needed after review.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Required certification in one of the following : CPC, RHIA, RHIT
- Successful completion of formal education in basic ICD-9-CM/ICD-10/CPT coding, medical terminology, anatomy/physiology and disease process..
- Knowledge of computers and Windows-driven software
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Cooperative work attitude toward and with co-employees, management, patients, outside contacts
- Ability to promote favorable company image with patients, insurance companies, and general public
- Ability to solve problems associated with assigned task
- Experience with Orthopedic Coding is a must
- Minimum of 2 years acute care coding experience of all patient types Inpatient, SDS and ER, with strong experience in Inpatient.
- Must have a minimum of 40Mbps internet download speed to effectively run SIS Systems
We believe employees are our greatest asset and we empower them to make a difference in our business. Diversity and inclusion makes us all better. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, protected veteran status, and all other protected statuses
Surgical Information Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V/SO are encouraged to apply.
At this time we are unable to sponsor H1B candidates