This is an entry level support role responsible for the operation, installation, setup, testing and maintenance of broadband services over an HFC network and other equipment associated with plant facilities and distribution systems. Working under close supervision, the incumbent ensures network meets company performance standards and is compliant with FCC requirements and standards.
- Maintains and repairs equipment within the HFC distribution system including customer premises.
- Performs demand maintenance by resolving trouble tickets for service-affecting events (i.e., outages, ingress, and area problems).
- Responds to status monitoring alarms. Identifies, troubleshoots and resolves any associated issues.
- Performs preventative maintenance on distribution networks by conducting amp sweeps, checking for forward and return signal transmission, measuring signal leakage, ingress, and noise, and evaluating power supply issues.
- Performs node and end-of-line checks to prevent trouble calls.
- Utilizes test equipment and other diagnostic tools such as notebook computers and digitized system maps to resolve network distribution problems.
- Consults with other internal work teams to resolve plant issues.
- Checks power supplies, batteries, and cabinets to ensure they are in good working order. Reports problems to authorized employees.
- May perform daily monitoring and documentation for CLI compliance per FCC requirements. Repairs leakage to resolve problems.
- May perform quality assurance field checks for new plant activation.
- May identify and log tickets to repair clearance infractions and/or GO95 and GO128 infractions as well as other safety issues.
- Reads and interprets system prints including system design maps and digital drawings.
- Work requires the ability to be on-call and work various shifts including nights and weekends.
- HS diploma, GED or relevant work experience
- 1 or more year of experience in related field (i.e. Field Technician)
- Requires strong knowledge of installation and service standards, basic electrical theory and cable construction standards, basic drafting techniques, map reading and interpretation, FCC standards.
- Flexible to work varied hours including evening, weekend and standby
- Excellent verbal communication, customer service, team player, and interpersonal skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- Valid local Driver's License with driving record that meets Cox standards
- 2+ year's experience installing and servicing video, phone and cable
- Ability to drive and operate a bucket truck
- Start or complete Core classes (i.e. system powering, optical transmission systems)
- Proficient and Expert level Universal Home Tech and/or Outside Plant
- Verifying services by testing, installing, repairing, replacing, and upgrading cables and equipment and end-user devices.
- AS/AA or Technical Certification (NCTI ar SCTE in related discipline desired. (i.e. engineering, electronics, computer science, etc
- 2 year's work experience in any of the following areas: structured wiring (e.g., new construction electrical, low voltage wiring, home entertainment system wiring); field service installation and repair in video (RF/cable).
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. Cox Communications is the largest division of Cox Enterprises, a family-owned business founded in 1898 by Governor James M. Cox.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.