Student Finance Advisor
The Student Finance Advisor delivers on our commitment of Service Excellence by building rapport, delivering clear and accurate information, offering effective solutions, and maintaining contact with students, their families and other influencers as they move through the financial aid process. A successful candidate will enjoy working collaboratively in a fast paced environment, be detail oriented with strong follow-up skills, and communicate in a friendly and compassionate manner.
Advisors are typically assigned to either future students or active students. Those that support future students are focused on ensuring those students are prepared to start school. Those that support active students focus on ensuring students have the support they need while attending school.
- Supports students through initial and ongoing student contact, ensuring financial aid and other sources of aid is secured, and making certain all required paperwork is submitted.
- Provides the best possible experience for students during every interaction by displaying compassion, composure, and offering compelling reasons to complete next step within proper timeframes.
- Recognizes hidden issues and offers creative solutions to assist students in addressing barriers to starting or continuing in school.
- Positions the value of UTI by matching UTI benefits to student/influencer needs and values; confirm value and gains agreement.
- Ensures all processing related to students’ financial aid are administered accurately and timely and in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Navigate students/influencers through the financial aid process by clarifying process steps, reviewing where they are in the overall process.
- Educates students on federal aid borrower’s rights and responsibilities, FAFSA completion, loan acceptance/denial, scholarships and alternative funding options that help resolve financing issues.
- Works proactively with Admissions, Students Services, Education, Employment Services and Accounting teams to support the needs of students and improve operational outcomes such as show rate, retention, persistence and overall student satisfaction.
- Executes the appropriate contact strategy and ensures that all students receive the proper follow up and achieve the appropriate milestones in the financial aid process.
- Manages an assigned workload load of students through a variety of tools and processes.
- Future Advisors work closely with Admissions Representative and students to fully understand each student’s situation and indicators to determine the student’s likelihood of starting school and to develop an accurate projection of the upcoming starts.
- Active Advisors work closely with Student Affairs Advisors, Education and students to fully understand each student’s situation and indicators to determine the student’s likelihood of continuing the education and graduating.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- High School diploma or GED required. Some college courses preferred.
- 3 years of experience in customer service or sales
- 2 years Financial Aid experience preferred
- Computer Skills (Word, Excel and SharePoint)
- Customer Service Skills
- Organization Skills
- Professional communication Skills (verbal and written)
- Multi-Tasking and Time Management Skills; can adapt to a changing fast-paced environment
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, or pull up to 5 pounds or less 5% of the workday
- Must be able stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl 5% or less of the workday
- Must be able to talk, see, hear, concentrate, think, learn and reason for all of the workday
- Must be able to sit and walk or otherwise move around for prolonged periods throughout the workday.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and do manual tasks for prolonged periods throughout the workday.
- Work is performed indoors in a climate-controlled environment.