Lane Transit District is one of the most successful and highly regarded public transit systems in the nation; has received numerous national, state, and local awards for service to the community; and, for transit districts its size, is consistently ranked among the nation's leaders in the successful implementation of Bus Rapid Transit, bus ridership, and service efficiency. LTD is committed to the values of working together, taking initiative, being professional, and practicing safety.
If you are interested in joining us as we endeavor to provide and improve services to all of our diverse communities in ways that are sensitive and responsive to cultural differences, including accessibility for persons with disabilities, we urge you to apply for this position.
Under general supervision, performs skilled mechanical tasks in the diagnosis of malfunctions, preventive maintenance, and repair of various types of transit equipment, either in the field or at the maintenance facility; overhauls major mechanical components; performs thorough mechanical and safety inspections of transit coaches; and related duties that may be assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Inspecting, testing, adjusting, repairing, and replacing complete or integral parts of: diesel engines, transmissions, drive shafts, and differentials; lubrication, cooling, electrical, exhaust, and air or hydraulic systems
- Repairing and testing diesel engines to specifications, including disassembling, cleaning, inspecting, and replacing worn or defective parts and reassembling them
- Inspecting, testing, adjusting, repairing, and replacing complete or integral parts of wheelchair lifts, brakes, and steering systems
- Inspecting, repairing, and adjusting bus door operation and air-ride system
- Fabricating machine parts, including acetylene and electrical welding and blacksmithing
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Test, diagnose, and repair malfunctions in diesel-fueled internal combustion engines and automatic transmissions
- Diagnose and repair malfunctions in automotive and heavy-duty electrical systems, hydraulic systems, air brake systems, and door-operating systems
- Produce a quality weld using acetylene equipment and electrical welding equipment
- Skillfully and safely operate all shop equipment, tools, and diagnostic equipment, such as engine lathes, brake drum lathes, brake-lining grinders, drill presses, and hydraulic presses
- Be proficient at reading electrical, hydraulic, and air schematics, and following equipment diagrams and blueprints
- Work with minimal supervision, applying independent judgment and keeping accurate written records
- Provide a five-year driving history and record acceptable to the District's insurance carrier
- Five years of experience as a journey-level mechanic in medium- to heavy-duty truck and/or bus maintenance
- Familiarity with Windows-based diagnostic programs
- An Associate of Applied Science degree in Diesel Technology or a related field from a recognized college or university
- Stand on concrete, tile, asphalt or steel bus floor for up to eight (8) hours.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Push and pull a force of 90 pounds.
- Frequently bend and squat.
Compensation for this position starts at $23.43 per hour.
This posting closes on Monday, December 23, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. For additional information call (541) 682-6100.
Lane Transit District is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.