CHEMIST - COLORIST
Mohawk Industries is the leading global flooring manufacturer that creates products to enhance residential and commercial spaces around the world. Mohawk’s vertically integrated manufacturing and distribution processes provide competitive advantages in the production of carpet, rugs, ceramic tile, laminate, wood, stone and vinyl flooring. Our industry-leading innovation has yielded products and technologies that differentiate our brands in the marketplace and satisfy all remodeling and new construction requirements. Our brands are among the most recognized in the industry and include American Olean, Bigelow, Daltile, Durkan, Karastan, Lees, Marazzi, Mohawk, Pergo, Unilin, Quick-Step and IVC. During the past decade, Mohawk has transformed its business from an American carpet manufacturer into the world’s largest flooring company with operations in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Europe, India, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia and the United States.
Mohawk Industries, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an inclusive workplace and a proud Drugs Don’t Work participant.
EOE Minorities/Females/Disabled/Protected Veterans
Responsible for develop new products internally and follow through Extrusion trial. Provide technical support internally and provide guidance to other Lab personnel. Determination of the color formulation for new concentrates as well as handling color corrections on existing work. Conducts research, analysis, synthesis, and experimentation on substances for such purposes as process development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis and improvement of analytical methodologies. Familiarity with a spectrophotometer, color matching and correction software
- Analyze raw material and other compounds used in manufacturing products and develop formulas, processes and methods for solution of technical problems
- Develop new products or match any existing products based on the requirements specified by our customers.
- Evaluate and determine the acceptability of on line production samples.
- Have a working knowledge of our product development process and have the ability to assist in that process when needed.
- Design trials and experiments to lead Manufacturing towards continuous improvement
- Plan sequence of testing and calibration procedures for instruments and equipment and calibrates test instruments according to specifications
- Provide support to the production department to help overcome any processing problems they may be having from a formulary stand point.
- Track Concentrate formulas and troubleshoot Maguire systems.
- Provide supervision, assistance and direction to Lab associates as needed.
- Perform any additional tasks as delegated by their Manager.
- A Bachelor’s degree and knowledge in a related Chemistry or Chemical Engineering field required
- Must have previous color matching experience 3-5 years preferred.
- Knowledge of organic pigments and inorganic pigments.
- Familiarity with masterbatch industry.
- Knowledge of computer software color matching with Pigments and Additives. Must pass formula adjustment test.
- Knowledge of color science, basic math functions; use of computer Excel spreadsheets, database, AS400 and Outlook. Assist in documenting test reports, testing efficiency, and accuracy
- Has knowledge of all testing instruments, and all related testing and job function procedures. Melt Flow, Ash test, Pressure Rise Test, DSC, XRF, Moisture, Pellet per Gram (PPG), Density, and any additional testing as needed.
- Must have good color vision and able to pass the Farnsworth-Munsell 100-Hue Color Test.
- Present oneself in a professional manner and perform some tasks related to a supervision or management type role
- Maintain and follow the company policies and procedures of Mohawk.
- Must be able to work safely and follow all the safety rules of the company.
- Must have the ability to multitask with strong time/priority management skills.
- Wide degree of creativity and latitude for independent action and judgment.
- Ability to provide consultation on complex projects and use a wide degree of creativity and latitude
- Local travel from plant to plant, lifting up to 50 pounds, and carry and lift cones, Climb steps and stand on concrete many hours throughout day. May be asked to work weekends and overtime if needed.