Entry Level Youth Counselor
Forest Ridge Youth Services is seeking energetic individuals to fill Youth Counselor positions in our residential program located near Estherville, Iowa.
Forest Ridge Youth Services is a residential treatment facility for at-risk female youth. Forest Ridge Youth Services facilitates an environment that supports a young woman's journey to learn more about who she is, the reasons for some of the decisions she has made, and how she can increase the respect she demonstrates for herself and others. Forest Ridge works to resolve emotional and behavioral issues through cognitive-behavioral and gender-responsive treatment, a highly-structured program, and a normative culture. Girls in the program focus not just on behavior change but also on positive thinking patterns, healthy belief systems and the development of a positive value system that will provide internal guidance for the students when they leave the program. Students in the Forest Ridge Program live in a socially interactive environment where girls learn to give and receive help from others in a caring way with the guidance of trained staff, through positive role modeling and mentoring.
Youth Counselors are Forest Ridge’s direct care staff. They supervise students during their day-to-day activities, facilitate the daily structure, and mentor and counsel students. Youth Counselors serve as positive role models to guide students toward personal growth and programmatic success.
- Role model pro-social behaviors to students and co-workers.
- Maintain the security of the facility and grounds.
- Supervise, observe, and interact with youth in activities in order to observe the effect changes in their social behavior.
- Ensure appropriate programs that have been developed are implemented and service delivery protocols are followed to meet the needs of Forest Ridge students.
- Give basic instruction to youth in work, recreation, and housekeeping activities.
- Primary counseling responsibilities - regularly meet with and individually counsel assigned students.
- Oversee and maintain the general health and wellbeing of all of the students in his/her assigned cottage.
- Provide crisis intervention for the students at Forest Ridge.
- Maintain all documentation as required by DHS Licensing Departments.
- Drive students to medical appointments, home passes, and on transports as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED equivalent required with recommended one year work related experience in a Human Services related field or have graduated from an accredited 4-year college or university with a rehabilitative treatment services qualifying degree. It is an essential function of the job that staff must be capable to participate in physical training activities and be capable of physically restraining the students if and when necessary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision, after sixty days.
- Company provided Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Company provided Basic Life/AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending program
- 401K after sixty days.
- Holiday pay
- Paid time off (18 days in first year)
- Birthday paid day off
- Free on-campus meals
- Staff housing opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program
Sequel Youth & Family Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer (E.O.E).