FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 17,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The Distribution Instructor will provide training to Regional Operations employees. The primary focus for this position is the training of incumbent Line personnel as well as candidates enrolled through the PSI Line School or in-house programs. Although the primary training location for the position will be in Erie, PA, the successful candidate will be expected to support training needs system wide on an as-needed basis.
There are 2 positions available.
- Leading the design, development, and implementation activities of effective training materials and programs.
- Mentoring associates and/or instructors through observation, providing feedback and written documentation.
- Delivering training in both formal classroom settings as well as field settings.
- Coordinating and maintaining training facilities, equipment and hardware.
- Completing administrative duties such as training documentation, reports and attendance records.
- Acting as the primary company interface with young adults enrolled through the PSI Line program as well as in-house line curriculum candidates.
- Supporting the design, development, and implementation activities of effective training materials and programs.
- Associate’s degree or higher with training experience. In lieu of an Associates degree, a Workforce Development approved Instructor Certification will be considered.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma along with 4 years directly related experience is required.
- Must have Journeyman level overhead line work skills.
- Must have knowledge of Transmission & Distribution construction standards, methods, practices, materials and safety regulations necessary to perform line work along with the tools and equipment used to perform this work.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of transformers, voltage regulators, capacitors, reclosers and other equipment functions along with installation requirements and operating characteristics.
- Must have advanced knowledge of electrical theory principals and laws for alternating and direct current.
- Must be able to interpret blueprints, drawings, technical manuals and construction standards.
- Must have the ability to climb wood poles, towers or structures, lift materials and equipment, operate construction trucks, and equipment as required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Demonstrated skill and experience performing as an instructor (classroom or on-the-job).
- Any additional experience in the areas of dispatching, distribution design, EHV work or network operations is a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, customer relations skills along with strong coaching and mentoring skills are a must.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team