POSITION TITLE: Marshal of the Court DEPARTMENT: Legal
POSITION CODE: 23-950 FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None EMPLOYEE CLASS: M-C
POSITION REPORTS TO: City Attorney, Police Chief
BLS COMPARABLE: 33-3011 Bailiff, 33-3051.01 Police Patrol Officers
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Subject to post offer, pre-employment drug screen
- Subject to a pre-employment criminal background check
- 21 years of age
- English proficiency
- U.S. Citizen.
- Peace Officer CLEET Certified.
- Possess a valid class D driver's license and have an acceptable driving record
- Must not be a current user of controlled substances
- Must not be a convicted felon or have disqualifying criminal histories or pending criminal or civil actions
- Must sign confidentiality agreement.
- As a position directly affecting the safety of others, the employee will be required to comply with all provisions of City of Enid's substance abuse policy, including random drug and alcohol testing.
POSITION PURPOSE: To serve the Enid Municipal Court and City Hall by providing security and serving warrants, summonses and subpoenas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Act as an enforcement agent for the Enid Municipal Court, including, but not limited to:
- Verifying and serving warrants for arrest.
- Serving summonses.
- Service subpoenas.
- Maintaining a secure Court environment.
- Transporting prisoners.
- Coordinates activities with the Enid Municipal Court, other officers and/or City departments as needed. Exchange information with officers in other law enforcement agencies and obtain advice and direction regarding cases and assignments as needed.
- Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities. Preserve evidence using training and standard acceptable practices. Complete daily log of activity.
- Operate cell phones, two-way radios, handguns, camera equipment and other equipment as required and demonstrate proficiency as required.
- Maintain equipment, supplies and facilities.
- Identify, pursue, physically apprehend and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Drive City vehicle.
- Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Render aid to persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Testify credibly in court to present evidence or act as witness.
- Read and interpret maps and give directions.
- Maintains contact with the general public, court officials and other city officials in the performance of Marshal operating activities.
- Maintain confidentiality of records.
- Perform other duties as required.
- The Enid Municipal Court runs smoothly and efficiently.
- The safety and security of people and property inside the Enid Municipal Court and City Hall are maintained.
- Warrants, summonses and subpoenas are served timely.
- Laws are understood, adhered to and enforced in accordance with statutes and ordinances.
- Contact with public is appropriate and professional.
- Effective working relations exist with other City personnel.
- Management is appropriately informed.
- Employee understands and adheres to applicable departmental rules, regulations and policies.
- The City's professional reputation is maintained.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Some college preferred.
CERTIFICATES/LICENSES: Valid Oklahoma Class D Driver's License at the time of hire. Peace Officer Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET) certified at the time of hire.
Public Safety and Security Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
Law and Government Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
English Language Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Psychology Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability and personality.
Clerical Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records and other office procedures and terminology.
Computer Proficient personal computer skills, including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, record tracking applications, word processing, etc.
Office Technology Proficient in the use of scanners, copiers, telephones, fax machines, etc.
Problem Sensitivity The ability to recognize that a problem exists and act upon the problem to reach an acceptable solution.
Oral Expression The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
Deductive Reasoning The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
Inductive Reasoning The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions.
Oral Comprehension The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Selective Attention The ability to concentrate on multiple tasks over a period of time without being distracted.
Handwriting The ability to spell and write legibly.
Reaction Time The ability to quickly respond appropriately (with the hand, finger, or foot) to a signal (sound, light, picture) when it appears.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
FINGER DEXTERITY: Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
VISUAL ABILITIES: The ability to see details at a distance (far vision) and at close range (near vision – within a few feet of the observer) with or without correction. Ability to perform duties such as reading and reviewing written communications and qualifying for firearms proficiency. Ability to have peripheral and depth perception.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Strength and body coordination enough to perform duties such as lifting or moving people and defending others or self. Stamina and mobility enough to perform duties such as running various distances and climbing, jumping or otherwise surmounting obstacles. Must be able to walk, run, balance, climb and reach overhead. Occasional stooping, crouching, squatting, kneeling and crawling is also required.
LANGUAGE/COMPREHENSION: Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write legibly and complete routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before individuals and groups.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed and involved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving variables in unstandardized situations. Ability to make quick, sound decisions.
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
WORK SCHEDULE/HOURS: Regular – 8 hour shift, typically 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Attendance at after-hours meetings on 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month and as needed.
Work hours may be adjusted as needed in order to best serve the needs of the City.
Overtime as required.
Other – Varied lunch period and breaks in coordination with other office personnel.
WORK CONDITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently move between a well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation and outside weather conditions. The employee works near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places and with explosives and may be exposed to wet and/or hot humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat and vibrations.
- 5-8 years in related field
- 9+ years clerical or work in related field
- Associate's Degree
- Basic comprehension of Spanish and/or Marshallese
- Bachelor's Degree
- Conversational Spanish and/or Marshallese
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the job changes.
I have reviewed this job description and I can perform the essential functions of this position, with or without, reasonable accommodations. I have also received or have been offered a copy of this job description.
Date ___/____/____ Signature