Looking to make a real difference?
You belong right here.
Come build a rewarding career helping others achieve their financial dream at an organization that values your own long-term success. With your unique talents, you have what it takes to be bold and brilliant in everything you do and reach new heights for a company dedicated to diversity and inclusion, community and you.
If you share that belief, this is where you belong.
Join our team of nearly 6,000 associates across 40 different locations worldwide and start your future today.
Join a growing organization offering a chance to apply skills “end-to-end“ on a range of applications and technologies within a “full stack“ agile team. If you display leadership with your work, have a track record for getting things done and enjoy making a difference for the customer – you'll fit well with our team.
The purpose of this career opportunity is to provide technical support and software development functions to the internal business user community regarding Investment Systems functionality. Support for the user community includes troubleshooting Investment Systems issues, and developing software to implement newly defined and prioritized business capabilities.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Technology skills: strong proficiency using Java, Eclipse, Tomcat
- Performs technical triage on Investment System applications to diagnose root cause of issues and identify and/or implement resolutions.
- Designs and develops new program solutions based upon prioritized requirements
- Performs programming changes to existing Investment System software applications to repair defects
- Acts as a technical specialist within a “full stack“ agile team environment to collaborate in providing application support
- Collaborates with colleagues regarding development and support best practices
- Advises and works on strategic initiatives to mitigate and/or alleviate Investment System processing issues, including process automation.
- Operates independently with some latitude for un-reviewed actions or decisions. Completes other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor s Degree in Computer Science or related field (Information Systems, Mathematics, Software Engineering)
- Experience typically requires:
- 6 years programming experience (any language)
- 2 years IT in financial or other highly regulated industry
- 2 years PL/SQL including triggers, functions, procedures, and views
- 2 years providing technical support of enterprise software system
OTHER PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Financial/Insurance Industry knowledge: Investment Accounting, Reporting and Trading
- Technology/Developer skillset: Agile (SCRUM) development experience, Proficient in Oracle PL/SQL and stored procedure coding, Java Certification, Architecture or system design experience, Test Driven Development (JUnit), Hibernate, Spring, Adobe FlashBuilder (Flex), J2EE Web Application development, SOA, Web Services development (Axis, REST), Spring, GIT, Jenkins, Maven, ANT
- Ability to communicate in a friendly and professional manner with customers and colleagues, remaining calm in stressful situations
- Ability to independently troubleshoot program errors regardless of technology, writing user-friendly explanations of highly technical functionality
- Possesses advanced knowledge and understanding of: procedural programming, relational database design, multi-tier system architecture
- Customer Focus:
- Delivers internal and external customer service excellence. Exhibits listening, patience, empathy, authenticity, pro-activity, and perseverance with customers.
- Upholds commitment to delivering optimal solutions in a timely manner, and balances customer needs with the best interests of the organization. Maintains a positive approach despite challenges, constraints, and/or customer emotions.
- Builds Partnerships:
- Builds collaborative and cooperative relationships
- Effectively manages conflict, finding common ground and building trust with co-workers, managers, partners, and customers through demonstration of inclusiveness and appreciation for diverse backgrounds, cultures, thoughts and experiences
- Operates with integrity and communicates respectfully in language, writing, and actions.
- Shows interest in and supports the success of others, providing encouragement and celebrating wins.
- Addresses conflict openly and respectfully, through proper channels.
- Adapting to Change:
- Is open to, acknowledges, manages emotions, and adjusts to changing events and priorities.
- Displays a positive approach in the face of ambiguity, change, or lack of resources.
- Is flexible to take on different responsibilities, learn new technology, and follow new processes.
- Focuses energy and actions on determining possibilities rather than on lamenting losses.
- Resolves most questions and problems independently; refers only the most complex issues to higher levels.
- Is empowered and expected to reach out to internal customers when required to solve system issues.
- Is empowered and expected to lend knowledge and expertise to troubleshoot complex issues in cooperation with colleagues.
- This position has a direct impact on transactions where financial risk is involved regarding accounts and gains or losses from market fluctuations. If responsibilities are not performed in a timely manner and with the utmost caution, the company may be exposed to significant costs. This position requires excellent working relationships with all levels of all departments within Great West Financial / Empower Retirement.
- Exposure to external clients is rare, but may occur with a complex technical situation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
The noise level is quiet, but may occasionally be moderate as in a noisy office when co-workers are required to collaborate on the phone with customers and other technology team members.
Core working hours, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm MT, are required for every member of the team.
Team coverage extends from 7:00am to 5:00 pm MT, so employees may be asked to work different hours than their preferred shift when coverage is required.
Occasional overtime and weekend work is required.
24/7 on-call technical support will be fulfilled by this position on a rotated basis within the team.