At Scripps Health, you will experience the pride, support, and respect of an organization that has been repeatedly recognized as one of the nation’s Top 100 Places to Work.
You’ll be surrounded by people committed to making a difference in the lives of their patients and their teammates. So if you’re open to change, go ahead and unlock your potential.
Join a winning team supporting the Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas as a Patient Service Specialist - ED supporting the Access Management/ED Admitting Department. Working together you’ll bring your expertise, compassion and excellence to all we do. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast paced environment and enjoy providing world class customer service.
The ED Patient Service Specialist interacts with patients, payers and providers to gather information necessary for accurate registration including assigning of appropriate Medical Record Number, scheduling/re-scheduling, referral/authorization, payment collection, document collection and arrival/check-in functions. You'll create a positive Scripps Health experience for our patients while being responsible for the following:
- Provide a proactive approach to customer service by listening to the patient, taking ownership of solutions and escalates issues as appropriate in order to resolve concerns.
- Manage the patient interaction from start to finish, which may include identification verification; updating or confirming patient demographic and insurance information; ensuring appropriate forms are provided, signed and witnessed at the time of the patient visit; verifying coverage including benefits, authorization, pre-determination, payer specific policy exclusions or limitations to coverage, collecting any patient responsibility and accurately preparing end of day reporting or payment reconciliation.
- Discussing payment arrangement options including financial assistance information, providing price estimates.
- Coordinate scheduling, meeting and travel planning needs, department communication as needed.
- Assist in gathering necessary reports, statistics, and outcomes for the department as needed
This is a Casual (per diem, non-benefitted), Varied Shift position with varying start times and 12 hour shifts, located at our Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas. Ability to work a flexible schedule is required.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of computer applications.
- Excellent mathematical skills and ability to handle monies.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; innovative with ability to identify and solve problems.
- Ability to adapt, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience in customer service or a healthcare/medical office environment.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, commercial and government health insurance and billing guidelines, ACA requirements, understanding of DRG's, Medical ICD9/ICD10 codes and CPT/HCPCS Codes and Modifiers.