We combine the power of Big Data, technology, and lean economics. We discover the information people are searching for and provide it. We help transform lives.
Callisto Media will be unmatched in providing products, services, and experiences to a diverse universe. From mainstream populations to groups that traditional companies believe are too small or economically unfeasible to address, we will meet their needs.
Today, we're the fastest growing company in the $140 billion global publishing industry, and our primary method for meeting peoples' needs is through books. But creating books for them is only the beginning.
Callisto Media is looking for a talented and experienced VP Design to join our growing team.
Callisto Media is a big data technology company that predicts the products consumers will buy, and then produces or sources those products to meet consumer demand. Our current market is books, e-books and audiobooks, but we have big plans. We have grown more than 100% a year every year since inception and are targeting a $140BN global market.
The ideal candidate has proven experience as a creative and operational leader, including managing the design and production of consumer goods in a fast-paced working environment, mentoring design staff, and optimizing performance and productivity as the organization scales. Expert skills in managing freelancers and in-house staff as well as a proven track record in collaborating successfully with in-house teams.
The VP Design will be responsible to ensure the alignment of Callisto Media’s vision with design strategy and execution, guide design teams, and lead the trajectory of growth and innovation in the design or our products. The ideal candidate has proven experience as a creative, strategic, and operational leader, including managing the design and production of complex consumer goods including print and digital design products and building and mentoring design teams.
- Develop and implement design vision, strategy, principles, process and systems that will guide the development of our products.
- Lead, mentor, and scale team of product designers.
- Define processes, practices, and culture, hiring and onboarding designers to scale design team.
- Prioritize and deliver multiple design deliverables with an iterative and empirical approach
- Reinforce a strong design culture — a culture that is guided by:
- Igniting curiosity and exploration of business and customer needs
- Embraces the importance of continuous, rapid testing, improvements, and learning.
- Delightful, effective user experience, end-to-end
- Agile mentality: quick iterations, flexibility, and innovation
- Applying fundamental user experience, design and research principles to deliver on products that attend to our customer needs
- Values and encourages cross-functional collaboration
- Grow the team — You will be responsible for recruiting and retaining strong talent.
- Collaborate with design team, leading by example in a fast-paced environment.
- Define career paths to help designers identify opportunities for growth and achieve measurable goals.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, editorial, engineering, marketing, sales and others to ensure a smooth product development process.
- Execute in a fast-paced environment, working with highly sensitive and impactful information.
- Own and improve supporting tools and infrastructure.
- Build, mentor and motivate a team of high-performing designers. Manage the team to help them achieve their career goals.
- Coach others on best practices for creating wireframes, storyboards, design specs and final feature designs.
- Transform ideas into creative, simple and responsive designs under technology and time constraints.
- · 17-20+ years of design experience
- · 10 years of experience leading a design function.
- · Extensive experience in design, with patterns, tools, and methodologies to draw from.
- · A track record of building, managing, and motivating teams. People want to work on your team again.
- · Passion for coaching and mentorship.
- · Experience using quantitative and qualitative data to inform design decisions and drive change
- · Experience with prototyping, user research, and design thinking as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- · Experience building and maintaining design systems, design principles, and streamlined workflows.
- · Collaborative approach to, and love for, design
- · Strong communication skills for articulating, discussing, and advocating for design decisions
- · Dedication to shipping the best product, within real-world resource and business constraints
- · Extensive experience collaborating with diverse and cross-functional teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, for full-time employees, as well as a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.