Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare.
Zymergen is a fast growing company in search of a Sr. Project Manager to lead the build out of large capital projects including our corporate headquarters in Emeryville, CA. The scope of projects will include office, laboratory, manufacturing, and infrastructure projects. The candidate will be responsible for the entire project lifecycle, including inception, execution, and close-out.
- Responsible for project planning including: economic and feasibility analysis, business case development, conceptual and schematic design, cost estimating, scope development, project execution planning and preparation of requests for capital expenditure.
- Develop and present executive updates for our capital project(s)
- Regularly report progress including schedule, quality, and KPIs
- Project execution: detail design, preparation of equipment specifications, procurement, cost and schedule control, commissioning, qualification, and start-up.
- Participates in equipment and system start-up and commissioning activities. Supervises internal and external resources during all phases of commissioning execution.
- Lead internal cross-functional project team
- Manages and monitors the activities of external engineering, construction managers and contractors working on capital projects.
- Meet regularly with key stakeholders to understand business needs and develop supply/demand data for management review.
- Partner with IT, Automation, and Process Engineering to lead efforts in design and implementation of critical equipment.
- Partner with Finance to regularly update forecast versus cash scenarios, update asset dates, and identify financial risks.
- Ensure compliance with local/state/federal/country/regional regulations.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment by enforcing EH&S procedures and GMP regulations (as applicable).
- Bachelors' degree in Construction Management or Engineering required.
- At least 8 years of experience with at least 2 years' experience in a laboratory or manufacturing environment.
- Combination of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including architectural and design experience.
- Knowledge of the development and use of contracts, estimates, and specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Self-motivated team leader with extensive experience in all phases of Engineering Architecture, and Planning.
- Strong analytical, organizational and decision-making skills,
- Familiarity with building systems, codes and ADA requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and Auto CAD
- Strong interpersonal skills required to establish and maintain positive relationships with Zymergen collegues
- Must exercise rapid learning ability, attention to detail, excellent computer skills, excellent communication skills, team player, organized analytical thinker with a high level of energy and self-motivation, excellent writing skills.