- Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
Zymergen is hiring an experienced Engineer to support our Products Division in building out our fermentation and separations pilot processing facilities. As a member of the Process Development & Scale Up team, the incumbent will define the scope of pilot process capabilities required to support the business, evaluate internal and external facilities options for implementation, and support capital project justification and execution. This position includes a key role in supporting project implementation, commissioning and pilot plant startup activities.
After completion of this extensive project, the incumbent will remain a member of team, supporting process transfer activities, including external process implementations at CMOs.
An ideal candidate for this position will perform the following duties:
- Develop scope and preliminary design documentation for a Zymergen pilot plant to support Fermentation and DSP process development needs
- Lead assessment of available internal and external options (including modified existing facilities and new build sites).
- Develop estimated capital costs and timelines, including detailed equipment configurations.
- Ensure continued alignment of the project against business needs by interfacing with external equipment vendors as well as internal process development and facilities teams
- Identify and communicate with qualified vendors by evaluating and recommending vendor proposals
- Responsible for the review, revision and approval of general arrangement drawings, P&ID schematics, process flow diagrams, functional description narratives, and other associated detailed technical documentation
- Supervise construction and commissioning by Zymergen and contractors
- Coordinate the utilization of external engineering consultants within and without Zymergen to achieve project goals
- Provide process and engineering expertise to commercial process improvement and piloting/process development efforts
- Perform engineering-based economic analysis to provide financial basis for capital projects including ROI, NPV and IRR calculations
We favor candidates with the following:
- BS to PhD in Engineering or relevant field and 10 years of bioprocess industry experience
- Demonstrated experience in leading or conducting scoping and implementation of pilot or laboratory capital projects
- Demonstrated experience in planning and coordinating the installation and commissioning of process equipment
- Experience interfacing with a range of relevant suppliers of commercial fermentation and bioseparations equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of sterile process design for fermentation processes a strong plus.
- Thorough knowledge of chemical engineering principles and familiarity with fermentation and biochemical processes
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.