Pioneering sustainable beauty through biotechnology, at Biossance we created a 100% plant-based squalane skincare line that is incredibly effective and safe. We formulate with a No Compromise™ approach, proudly blacklisting over 2,000 potentially harmful ingredients because the products you use make a difference for your health and the health of the planet. Biossance makes sure only the most trustworthy and powerful ingredients make the final cut. Because our standards for clean beauty are high. And our standards for ourselves even higher. The full Biossance skin care line can be found at www.Biossance.com and www.Sephora.com.
Biossance is seeking a Senior Manager, Product Management and Marketing to manage the strategic launch of new products and of the management of the existing product portfolio. This position explores and pursues innovation to integrate into new products while driving Brand-aligned development and product optimization based on market analysis, sales analysis, competition and trends. This individual will be a key player in shaping the future of Biossance’s product strategy and portfolio, and drive a profitable business to grow the brand. This role reports to the President of Biossance.
- Deliver go-to-market innovation including development of a comprehensive plan with new product concepts and initial forecasting that justifies the project and investment.
- Develop and publish a 24 month rolling product development calendar and manage the execution of plans for new product introductions.
- Responsible for both current product optimization as well as new product launches
- Initiate and communicate updates for all new product launches including conceptualizing ideas, initial financial analysis and pricing, competitive analysis, picking prototypes, evaluating submissions, giving direction to Product Development, Operations, Packaging and Creative, develop and monitor concept briefs and progress. More specifically:
- Analysis of market research, consumer research and sales data (NPD, Mintel, Internal)
- Propose new products andconcepts that fit with the Brand DNA while incorporating trends and gap assessments, working closely with Product Development and Packaging
- Develop and articulate unique and differentiated product positioning and product features based on customer feedback, competitive assessment, industry trends and research.
- Initial financial planning and support volume forecasting; pricing strategy; analyzing sales and margins to ensure profit, not just revenue
- Create new and updated product concept pitch presentations to senior management. Once approved, owns charters and project kickoff briefs to Operations, Creative, Marketing and Sales for new product development, copy & creative briefs for naming and packaging, and ongoing follow through to launch
- Work with Product Development and Regulatory to recommend desired product claims for efficacy testing, and to recommend final claims with Marketing
- Prepare final product marketing presentations that include the product features, benefits, claims, ingredients, price, sizes and packaging to support Marketing, Education, Sales, Customer Service and retailer presentations
- Work with Sales and Marketing to propose and manage promotional kit strategy, development and value/margin analysis (acquisition sets, GWPs, accessories, value sets, holiday)
- Train education, go-to-to marketing and customer service teams
- Champion the product line, both internally and externally, including attendance at trade shows and conferences.
- MBA in Business or Marketing preferred; Bachelors degree required
- 5+ years minimum of product management, product marketing, or global marketing/brand management experience in beauty, preferably in skincare
- Moves easily and comfortably between quantitative analytics and marketing creativity
- Ability to motivate and influence cross-functional teams and stakeholders across the organization to execute projects/programs.
- Ability to think strategically or tactically in different situations
- Strong work ethic with a strong efficiency orientation
- Must be organized, detail oriented, resourceful, and able to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to work both independently, and be a strong team player with cross-functional teams in a fast moving/changing environment
- Creative and resourceful problem solving, and ability to change course when projects stall
- Energetic, self-motivated, and the ability to act with a sense of urgency, intensity and integrity.
- Deep fluency and skill with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Experience with Mintel, NPD and other research data
- Strong knowledge of the skincare market, globally, and with a focus on the US.
- Adaptability is required as we are a small organization; job scope evolves as business needs evolve.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel 10% of the time.
No Compromise Beauty™
Biossance is a clean beauty brand that uses biotechnology to create skincare products that are effective, sustainable and safe. We formulate with a No Compromise™ approach—proudly blacklisting over 2,000 potentially harmful ingredients. Only the most trustworthy and powerful make our final cut.
It all began inside our Berkeley labs in 2003, where through biology and modern technology a plant-derived cure for malaria was created. Since then, over 120 million royalty-free treatments have been given, saving lives and communities. Inspired to keep positively changing the world through biotech, we turned to the ingredients people use on their bodies every day. And we asked how we could do better. Drawing on our rich history of science and sustainability, we create skincare products that are incredibly effective and safe without harming the environment. Because our standards for clean beauty are high—and our standards for ourselves are even higher.
Biossance products are available at Biossance.com and Sephora.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.