Amyris is looking for an enthusiastic, team oriented, problem solver to join our Chromatography group, which is part of the Screening and Analytics department (SCAN). The scientist will be responsible for developing, qualifying, and operationalizing assays to support program goals in R&D. A key component of these activities is translating project goals into analytical methodologies and ensuring that the resulting assays are suitably robust for routine operation. This will involve working with closely with our fermentation, biology, process development and scientific computing groups to develop and implement assays that answer questions as efficiently as possible.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for developing instrumental methods and sample prep procedures to measure product titer in fermentation broth, purification streams, feedstocks, and other sources.
- You will represent the analytics team internally and externally by presenting experimental data from assay development and qualification studies explaining the capabilities and limitations, experimental approach, and impact of your work on the project.
- You will collaborate closely with stakeholders to scope method requirements using a statistical, data-driven approach.
- You will quantitatively evaluate the method performance against agreed upon requirements, document the performance in method development reports and review team members' reports.
- This role requires balancing multiple program priorities, building relationships with customers and stakeholders, guiding team members in executing their priorities, and ensuring deadlines are met. Proactively identifying and implementing new ways of working and new technologies to increase efficiency, throughput, data quality, and to generate new relevant data types is encouraged.
- PhD degree in Chemistry or related discipline
- 2+ years of experience working in an industrial setting
- Record of analytical capabilities in quantitative assay development, including evaluation and troubleshooting on multiple analytical platforms (such as LC, GC, IC, etc)
- Strong command of general and organic chemistry principles and lab techniques
- Ability to manage and manipulate large data sets to draw conclusions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write clear, concise reports and to present data to customers tailored to facilitate their understanding
- Demonstrated ability in time-management and prioritization as well as track record of project completion and on-time delivery
- Energetic, highly self-motivated and able to work efficiently and productively to support rapid research efforts in a team environment
- Interest and motivation to mentor more junior team members
- Knowledge of Quality by Design principles
- Experience with DOE, Minitab, or similar statistical tools
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website at www.amyris.com.