Amyris is building an integrated renewable products company using breakthrough science and an innovative business model to address some of our planet’s most daunting problems. Amyris first developed its technology under a non-profit initiative to provide a reliable and affordable source of artemisinin, a highly effective anti-malarial therapeutic and is now applying its industrial synthetic biology platform to provide sustainably-sourced alternatives to a broad range of petroleum, plant and animal-derived products. Amyris products in the Health & Wellness, Clean Beauty and Flavors & Fragrance markets are being designed to perform comparably to, or better than, the products they will replace.
The Process Development team is seeking a Scientist 3 interested in building expertise in developing recovery and purifications processes for biomass and small molecules.
In this position, you will provide technical leadership on developing and demonstrating proprietary recovery and purification processes at 2L&300L scale, with ultimate implementation at the >100 m3 fermentation scale. In this capacity, you will both lead and contribute to technical and multidisciplinary teams to identify, optimize and transfer cost-effective and robust separations technologies for novel fermentation products. To do this you will additionally need to partner with external vendors, technology providers and CROs to evaluate emerging technologies for recovery and purification of biomass, secreted product, and intracellular products. Internally, you will partner with both Analytics teams to expand the suite of analytical tools that can be used to evaluate the mechanism and efficacy of various primary recovery methods, conditions and reagents as well as team with PD engineers in scaling up and costing novel downstream processes, and developing equipment recommendations for manufacturing deployment.
The position requires interactions with several disciplines, including research, fermentation PD, engineering, analytical chemistry, environmental health & safety, product development, and quality systems. Collaboration is key to moving projects forward, with safety as a priority.
- Display personal responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies.
- Use process modeling, experimental design and statistical analysis of data to guide scale-up and scale-down of primary recovery processes
- Execute experiments at the bench, test and validate new diagnostic tools, and in partnership with our analytical teams, develop suitable analytics to progress recovery process development on new and existing processes
- Review and apply learnings from academic literature, patent filings and public domain information, to long and short-term in-house process development, on an ongoing basis
- Work closely with 3rd party contract research labs to develop scope of work and budget, monitor ongoing progress, ensure alignment and timeliness on agreed deliverables
- Mentor, train and eventually supervise 1-2 associate scientists
- Present and document work for internal and external stakeholders, on a weekly basis.
- Partner with the pilot plant staff to scale-up new processes and develop tech transfer packages for manufacturing
- Support operations teams in deploying, troubleshooting and optimizing manufacturing-scale processes around the world
- PhD in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering + 5years/ MS + 9 years in a R&D/PD role. Previous experience with fermentation matrices is strongly preferred.
- Experience with at least 2 of the following operations at lab and/or pilot scale: extraction, adsorption, filtration, centrifugation and distillation, at operating scales >= 250mL, is required. Scale up experience at operating scales >=100L is preferred.
- Ability to validate mass and energy balances, explore and quantify relevant design parameters, quantify process robustness over a representative range of feed and process conditions, and identify scaling risks
- Ability to use develop credible, flexible and accurate process models and cost models for processes under development
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment that requires strong project management and communication skills
- Experience with food and beverage applications is highly desired, but not required.
- Travel up to 15%
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website at www.amyris.com.