Director, Data Science
Berkeley Lights is looking for a proven Data Science leader to develop and grow the AI/ML team responsible for our high-performance compute algorithms that combines big data (Genomics, Proteomics, Sensor data, etc.,) and deep learning technologies to accelerate our global scientist’s productivity in finding the best cells! This will require an interdisciplinary approach – collaborating with cross-disciplinary teams (biologists, hardware engineers and optical engineers) on solving business problems. You should be an excellent communicator and be comfortable working with customers both internally and externally.
- Develop, grow, and mentor Data Scientists and ML engineers. Collaborate with HR to identify, attract and hire world-class Data Science talent. In collaboration with the Technology leadership, formulate and refine the AI/ML Product strategic roadmap.
- Identify, evaluate, and deploy new deep learning and AI technologies in support of our corporate goals and strategic roadmap.
- Lead Data Science research team and foster innovation, collaboration, and development.
- Leading the iterative development of computational methods for integrative analysis and visualization of large datasets, such as gene expression, metabolomics & proteomics
- Lead all data related activities (data discovery and organization on cleansing and data prep) to support development of new data science approaches (e.g., deep learning) and methodologies.
- Collaborate with adjacent teams including hardware engineering, optical engineering, biology, data science, and BioFoundry.
- Productize AI/ML models at enterprise scale with high quality. Streamline and automate the algorithm and model development.
- Work with embedded and cloud-based software engineering teams to scale and operationalize prototyped concepts and to ensure successful implementation and deployment of models/algorithms.
- Provide guidance on designing solutions for scalability, reliability, and performance in a regulated environment.
- Provide guidance on analysis and interpretation of high-dimensional data, including genomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic datasets.
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of data collection and analysis, providing oversight of documents to support regulatory filings, IP, contributing to publication of manuscripts and presenting results at appropriate scientific meetings.
- Effectively communicate (i.e., status, summary reports, and escalations) to leadership and other various levels of the organization
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- Demonstrated success managing a Data Science team through periods of rapid growth, including development of training and mentorship plans.
- Track record of delivering enterprise AI/ML models in healthcare or life sciences domain.
- Experience in taking products through FDA and/or global regulatory approvals.
- 3+ years’ experience managing and leading Data Science.
- 8+ years’ experience developing large scale, high reliability enterprise products for life science or equivalent platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise in building deep learning models such as CNN, RNN, LSTM and GANs.
- Strong hands-on experience with a variety of high-level languages and frameworks such as Python, TensorFlow, Keras, Caffe, CNTK, etc.,
- Technical depth and domain expertise with cloud operations, site reliability, GCP or AWS or Azure operations
- Relevant experience in the Life Sciences or Healthcare industry is a plus.
- Demonstrated skill at data cleansing, data quality assessment, and using analytics for data.
- Strong Publication record in peer-reviewed journals is a plus.
- Technical depth in: Product Development, User Experience, Cloud Computing, Hardware, Software and image processing.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is effective January 1, 2020. Please read our California Consumer Privacy Act Disclosure Form regarding the CCPA and Berkeley Lights’ required disclosures about the collection of personal information.