We combine the power of Big Data, technology, and lean economics. We discover the information people are searching for and provide it. We help transform lives.
Callisto Media will be unmatched in providing products, services, and experiences to a diverse universe. From mainstream populations to groups that traditional companies believe are too small or economically unfeasible to address, we will meet their needs.
Today, we're the fastest growing company in the $140 billion global publishing industry, and our primary method for meeting peoples' needs is through books. But creating books for them is only the beginning.
The Art Director at Callisto Media reports to the Executive Art Director and is responsible for creating cover and interior designs for our books, including specifying illustration, partnering with the Photo Art Director to allocate photography, and working with the Operations Department to keep projects on schedule.
Additionally, the Art Director manages the outsourcing of a portion of our books to freelance Designers, and provides support in implementing Design Department initiatives.
The ideal candidate has proven experience creating complex 4-color books in a Trade publishing environment, solid skills in managing freelancers, as well as an established track record in collaborating successfully with in-house Editorial, Sales, and Marketing teams.
Please view a sample of our work at the following link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4b1e4d39-d976-4bf5-8911-c6164bd3b80d
- Create dynamic book designs that uphold the standards and meet the objective of Callisto publishing
- Collaborate closely with the Editorial and Operations teams on book production
- Produce cover mechanicals and print-ready files
- Assign and manage freelance Designers on select cover and interior designs
- Assist in allocating and managing illustration and photography
- Help manage Page Compositors and review composed pages
- Adhere to fast-paced schedules and deadlines while upholding high design quality standards
- Provide support on additional production, design, and administrative tasks
Desired Skills & Experience
- At least 7 years art direction experience
- Proven experience in book design, preferably in Trade publishing
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with a great attention to detail
- Extensive knowledge of typography and proper typesetting conventions
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to take initiative while working collaboratively
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
- Expert proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent education and experience
- ebook design and production skills a plus
Join us! We are a team where data drives our decisions. Where culture matters. We put our customers first and they embody our core values. We’re entrepreneurial and focused in our approach. We challenge each employee to experiment and drive results while feeling empowered to do their best work each and every day.
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, stock options, for full-time employees, as well as a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position.