- This position can be seated out of our location in Ellicott City, MD; Philadelphia, PA; Arlington, VA; Washington, DC; or Cary, NC headquarters.
Are you a problem solver, explorer, and knowledge seeker – always asking, “What if?“
If so, you may be the new team member we're looking for. Because at SAS, your curiosity matters – whether you're developing algorithms, creating customer experiences, or answering critical questions. Curiosity is our code, and the opportunities here are endless.
What we do
We're the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live.
What you'll do
As a Senior Infrastructure Automation Engineer – Cloud Services at SAS, you will modernize infrastructure through cloud services, leveraging a broad range of technologies, including developing complex, highly available services and varied solution interaction engineering.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Review technology trends and monitor data standards/technologies and ensure that our technology strategy aligns with the business strategy.
- Participate in an engineering process for new modern (microservices) and legacy (monolithic) containers for end customer consumption.
- Enable an engineering and container architecture, accounting for hundreds of Pods operating for a single complex application series or flow.
- Support and troubleshoot issues (process and system), identify cause, and proactively recommend sustainable corrective actions.
- Assess cloud readiness of applications and remediation, enabling portability/compatibility between public and private clouds.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing delivery, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Facilitate engineering meetings and workshops with others in the same department and/or across organizational borders.
- Ability to author engineering concepts, specs, detailed workflows, and presentations.
What we're looking for
- You're curious, passionate, authentic, and accountable. These are our values and influence everything we do.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related quantitative field.
- 8+ years of experience modernizing infrastructure through cloud services.
- 5+ years of experience developing complex, highly available services and varied solution.
- You have deep dive capability into technical topics, the ability to discuss common engineering concepts and models, and the proficiency to establish and design to engineering requirements, specifications, and engineering decisions.
- Broad knowledge of major cloud technologies including virtualization, containers, networking on different cloud platforms and additional knowledge or experience in the areas of IT and/or cloud technology architecture, service management and/or resiliency.
- Subject matter expertise across cloud computing, infrastructure, IT operations, applications, enterprise architecture, data management, and cloud governance models with ability to advise on industry-leading approaches.
- Architecture and design method champion to gather and analyze requirements, design and implement specific solutions. Expert level understanding of conceptual, logical and physical design stages
- Understanding of DevOps, Agile, Scrum construct to identify inefficiencies for cloud adoption through readiness assessments and development of strategies and approaches to optimize the implementation of cloud resources and capabilities.
- Hands on knowledge or ability with technologies across one or more domains: IT infrastructure, Converged & Hyper Converged Infrastructure, Cloud, Storage, Networking (Cloud and Non-Cloud), Enterprise Monitoring, IT Operations and Governance.
- Broad design expertise across VPC design, IAM definition, OS tuning/configuration, containerization, Kubernetes, database tuning/configuration, DevOps toolchains, provisioning automation, service management, operations and security.
The nice to haves
- Knowledge of DevOps and CI/CD automation tools such as Git, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, and cloud native scripting such as CloudFormation and ARM templates.
- Knowledgeable with one or more scripting languages: YAML, JSON, PowerShell, BASH or Python.
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes container orchestration and management (OpenShift or equivalent tooling).
- In depth understanding of security controls and implementations in the cloud.
- Certified in one or more cloud vendor/platform (RedHat, AWS, Azure, GCP) is optimal. Multiple certs across two or more cloud ecosystems is a plus.
- Experience with cloud automation in public clouds, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft's Azure, Google's Compute Cloud, Alibaba and others.
- Expertise with SDLC life cycle (agile and waterfall) and associated IT processes - Scrum and/or Design Thinking certification is desirable.
- Deep understanding and working knowledge of RedHat's OpenShift platform.
- Ideally candidate would have experience with Platform9 and other solution platforms.
- Experience with abstraction of underlying Infrastructure from the applications above, through codification of infrastructure.
- Real world experience designing, developing and defending a modern distributed compute platform at scale (Nomad/Mesos/Kubernetes).
- Comfortable writing code in multiple languages, confident in choosing the right strongly or dynamically-typed language for the job. Preferred language familiarity: Java, .NET, Python, Go.
Other knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication, including the documentation of solution engineering and roadmaps.
- Up to 50% travel or 3 days per week.
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn't about fitting into our culture, it's about adding to it - and we can't wait to see what you'll bring.
SAS looks not only for the right skills, but also a fit to our core values. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique values that makes SAS such a great place to work. We look for the total candidate: technical skills, values fit, relationship skills, problem solvers, good communicators and, of course, innovators. Candidates must be ready to make an impact.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the notice Pay Transparency
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
Want to stay up to date with life at SAS, products and jobs? Follow us on LinkedIn