Improbable is dedicated to building powerful technology designed to help solve previously impossible problems and enable the creation of new realities. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness. In other industries, we hope to help answer critical questions through simulations that could lead to a better functioning world.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
We are a British technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
With the successful launch of SpatialOS to the gaming world, the popularity of our platform is growing. An Unreal Engine Programmer at Improbable plays an instrumental role in developing the capabilities of our Unreal GDK and SpatialOS, empowering our partners & in-house game studios to focus on trail-blazing the next generation of innovative gameplay At Improbable an Unreal Engine Programmer understands the core concepts of SpatialOS and combines that with games development knowledge and expertise to build new kinds of gameplay features and systems. As a member of the Games Production division at Improbable you will be a key member of our engineering team as we work to empower our partners in building amazing games that feature SpatialOS. In this role, you will become an expert at enabling the Unreal Engine to harness the power of SpatialOS while engaging with both internal and external project teams across multiple stages of development. Features include gameplay development, multiplayer networking and optimization, game engine and tools, back-end services, live-ops & maintenance, and analytics all in support of massive multiplayer games.
- Use C++ to implement custom coding solutions for client needs
- Establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches
- Collaborate with internal and partner teams to develop features for the Unreal GDK
- Research potential solutions to technical challenges
- Provide support for internal and partner game teams
- General debugging
- Minimum of 3 years experience in software development in a collaborative environment/part of a team working on a large project.
- Knowledge and passion for games and/or game development.
- Proven experience working in commercial software development using C++.
- Methodical and investigative nature, possessing strong troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, especially in the face of ambiguous or novel challenges.
- Ability to organize oneself across multiple concurrent tasks.
- Knowledge of notable game engines and technologies, including but not limited to Unity, Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine, or other equivalent or proprietary game engines.
- Excellent communication and team skills; Ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers).
- Ability to define and understand elements of game design documents and technical design documents.
- Ability to re-prioritize and adjust/adapt ongoing work and tasks in a high paced, high energy environment
The following would be advantageous
- Previous experience shipping a product in the games industry
- Previous experience with implementing features for multiplayer games and/or networked environments
- Experience with SpatialOS
- Proficient in C#, including experience with .NET Core.
- Track record of interacting with open source projects (bug reports, bug fixes, own projects).
- Experience with Google-for-Everyone-Else technologies: Prometheus, gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Experience with real-time, distributed systems.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.